"And who is her maid?"
"她的女佣人是什么人?"
"Alice is her name. She is an American and came from California with her."
"她名叫艾丽丝,是个美国人,从加利福尼亚和她一起来的。"
"A confidential servant?"
"一名心腹佣人?"
"A little too much so. It seemed to me that her mistress allowed her to take great liberties.
"这么说也许有点过份。在我看来似乎她的女主人对她非常随便,不拘礼仪。
Still, of course, in America they look upon these things in a different way."
可是,当然在美国他们对这一类事情有不同看法。"
"How long did she speak to this Alice?"
"她和这位艾丽丝谈了多久?"
"Oh, a few minutes. I had something else to think of."
"哦,几分钟。当时我正在考虑一些别的事。"
"You did not overhear what they said?"
"你没有听到她们说些什么?"
"Lady St. Simon said something about 'jumping a claim.'
"圣西蒙夫人谈到些'强占别人土地'的话,
She was accustomed to use slang of the kind. I have no idea what she meant."
她总是惯于说这一类的俚语。我不理解她指的是什么。"
"American slang is very expressive sometimes. And what did your wife do when she finished speaking to her maid?"
"美国的俚语有时是很形象化的。你的妻子和女佣人谈过话后做了些什么事?"
"She walked into the breakfast-room." "On your arm?"
"她走进吃早餐的房间。""你挽着她走进去的吗?"
"No, alone. She was very independent in little matters like that.
"不,她一个人。象这一类小节,她是一向不讲究的。
Then, after we had sat down for ten minutes or so,
接着,在我们就座大约十分钟以后,
she rose hurriedly, muttered some words of apology, and left the room. She never came back."
她急急忙忙地站起身来,咕哝了几句道歉的话,就离开了房间。她就这样一去不复返了。"
"But this maid, Alice, as I understand, deposes that she went to her room,
"但是,据我了解,那位女佣人艾丽丝作证说,女主人走进自己的房间,
covered her bride's dress with a long ulster, put on a bonnet, and went out."
用一件长外套罩在新娘的礼服上,戴上一顶软帽,就出去了。"
"Quite so. And she was afterwards seen walking into Hyde Park in company with Flora Millar,
"正是这样。过后,有人看到她和弗洛拉·米勒一道走进海德公园。
a woman who is now in custody, and who had already made a disturbance at Mr. Doran's house that morning."
弗洛拉·米勒就是现在被拘留的那个女人,那天早上,她曾经在多兰的寓所里惹起一场风波。"
"Ah, yes. I should like a few particulars as to this young lady, and your relations to her."
"啊,是的。关于这位年轻的妇女,我想知道她的一点具体情况,还有你和她的关系。"