At this period of my life, my heart far oftener swelled with thankfulness than sank with dejection:
在这段时间的生活中,我的心常常涌起感激之情,而没有颓唐沮丧。
and yet, reader, to tell you all, in the midst of this calm, this useful existence --
可是,读者呀,让我全都告诉你吧,在平静而充实的生活中——
after a day passed in honourable exertion amongst my scholars, an evening spent in drawing or reading contentedly alone --
白天为学生作出了高尚的努力,晚上心满意足地独自作画和读书——
I used to rush into strange dreams at night:
之后我常常匆匆忙忙地进入了夜间奇异的梦境,
dreams many-coloured, agitated, full of the ideal, the stirring, the stormy --
多姿多彩的梦,有骚动不安的、充满理想的、激动人心的,也有急风骤雨式的——
dreams where, amidst unusual scenes, charged with adventure, with agitating risk and romantic chance,
这些梦有着千奇百怪的场景,充满冒险的经历,揪心的险情和浪漫的机遇。
I still again and again met Mr. Rochester, always at some exciting crisis;
梦中我依旧一次次遇见罗切斯特先生,往往是在激动人心的关键时刻。
and then the sense of being in his arms, hearing his voice, meeting his eye,
随后我感到投入了他的怀抱,听见了他的声音,遇见了他的目光,
touching his hand and cheek, loving him, being loved by him --
碰到了他的手和脸颊,爱他而又被他所爱。
the hope of passing a lifetime at his side, would be renewed, with all its first force and fire.
于是重又燃起在他身边度过一生的希望,像当初那么强烈,那么火热,
Then I awoke.
随后我醒了过来。
Then I recalled where I was, and how situated.
于是我想起了自己身在何处,处境如何。
Then I rose up on my curtainless bed, trembling and quivering;
接着我颤颤巍巍地从没有帐幔的床上爬起来。
and then the still, dark night witnessed the convulsion of despair, and heard the burst of passion.
沉沉黑夜目睹了我绝望的痉挛,听见了我怒火的爆发。
By nine o'clock the next morning I was punctually opening the school;
到了第二天早上九点,我按时开学,
tranquil, settled, prepared for the steady duties of the day.
平心静气地为一天的例行公事作好准备。
Rosamond Oliver kept her word in coming to visit me.
罗莎蒙德.奥利弗守信来看我。
Her call at the school was generally made in the course of her morning ride.
她一般是在早上遛马时到学校里来的,
She would canter up to the door on her pony, followed by a mounted livery servant.
骑着她的小马慢跑到门口,后面跟了一位骑马的随从。