One of the ways we might get to the truth about gravity
我们可以获得引力真相的手段之一,
is to try and fit it into the beautiful framework we have that describes the sub-atomic world.
就是尝试将它融合进我们所描述的亚原子世界的美丽的架构之中。
Quantum mechanics predicts that the force of gravity should be transmitted by a particle.
量子力学预言引力应该通过粒子进行传递。
We call this particle the graviton.
我们把这个粒子称为引力子。
If we could just find these gravitons,
如果我们能够找到这些引力子,
then we might at last arrive at a quantum theory of gravity,
那么我们就能够最终完成引力的量子理论,
a universal theory that will work everywhere in the cosmos.
一个普适宇宙的宇宙理论。
For eight years, Greg Landsberg has been using Fermilab's particle accelerator to try to create gravitons.
八年里,格雷格·兰茨贝格一直在利用费米实验室的粒子加速器,试图创造出引力子。
These particles, though we haven't quite seen them,
这些粒子,虽然我们完全看不到它们,
so what I'm telling you is...
然而我要告诉你的是……
Haven't quite seen them?! That's right. It's our hypothesis,
完全看不到它们?对。它是我们的假设,
so we don't quite know if this is true or not.
所以我们完全不知道事实究竟是什么。
It's amazing that the way to see the graviton is by NOT observing it,
让你吃惊的是,那个找到引力子的方法不是靠观察它的存在,
by observing it's missing.
而是靠观察它的消失。
To see something that's missing, Greg is effectively looking for missing energy.
为了看到有东西消失,格雷格实际上是在观察能量的消失。
Typically, when you bash things together,
通常情况下,你将物体猛然碰撞在一起时,
the energy of the original particles should be the same
初始粒子的能量应该是一样的,
as the total energy of all the particles coming out.
随后所有的粒子的总能量将会显现出来。
But if you were to make a graviton in that collision,
但是如果你在那个碰撞中加上引力,
then our detectors are certainly not capable of seeing it,
那么我们的探测器肯定没法探测出来,
so the graviton will take energy away from the collision.
因此引力会从碰撞中带走能量。
Energy will appear to disappear.
就会出现能量消失的现象。