If you're riding a bike and want to turn right,
如果你骑自行车,想向右转,
you might think that you should turn the handlebars to the right.
你可能会认为你应该把车把向右转。
However, that's wrong.
但是,这是不对的。
Because, unlike a car where turning the wheels merely changes the direction the car is pointed,
因为,自行车不同于汽车,转动汽车车轮只会改变指向的方向,
turning the front wheel makes a bike lean.
转动前轮会使自行车倾斜。
When you turn the bike wheel to the right,
当你把自行车轮子转到右边,
the wheel goes to the right, right out from under you and the rest of the bike.
轮子就会转到右边,此时的轮子位于你身体和自行车的其他部分的右下方。
So now you're leaning to the left,
此时你的身体正向左倾斜,
and the force on the bike from the ground will be directed to the left,
从地面施加在自行车上的力会指向左边,
and a leftward force, of course, makes you go to the left.
而向左的力,当然,会使你向左边移动。
Since physics seems determined that you're going left,
由于物理学的因素似乎决定了你要往左转,
you'd probably better just give in and let the handlebars turn to the left, too.
你可能最好还是屈服吧,将车把也转向左边。
And that's how you turn left on a bike – by first turning right.
这就是你如何在自行车上通过第一次右转实现左转。
If you really wanted to go right,
如果你真的想往右转,
you should have started by counter-steering to the left.
你应该从左转向开始。
Once you finally get yourself into a right turn,
一旦你最终进入右转状态,
you'll also need to work to keep yourself in the turn,
你也需要努力保持在转弯状态,
since most bikes and motorcycles have a tendency to automatically stabilize and straighten out on their own.
因为大多数自行车和摩托车都能自动稳定和校正方向。
This happens because a right-leaning bike automatically steers itself
发生这种情况是因为右倾的自行车会自动
even farther to the right to get the wheels back underneath its center of mass,
向右转向更远,使车轮回到它的重心下,
so you'll actually need to apply a slight torque to the left
所以你实际上需要向左施加一个轻微的扭矩,
to keep the wheels from turning too far to the right.
以防止车轮向右转得太远。
Yes, it's counterintuitive: to turn right on a bike you turn left,
是的,这是违反直觉的:骑着自行车向右转,
then keep trying to turn left while leaning and turning right.
然后继续尝试向左转,同时倾斜并向右转。
Bikes are weird.
自行车真的很奇怪。