But if you wish me to love you, could you but see how much I do love you, you would be proud and content.
不过要是你希望我爱你,你就只要瞧一瞧我确实多么爱你,你就会自豪和满足了。
All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you;
我的整个心儿是你的,先生,它属于你,
and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence for ever."
即使命运让我身体的其余部份永远同你分离,我的心也会依然跟你在一起。”
Again, as he kissed me, painful thoughts darkened his aspect.
他吻我的时候,痛苦的想法使他的脸又变得阴沉了。
"My scared vision! My crippled strength!" he murmured regretfully.
“我烧毁了的视力!我伤残了的体力!”他遗憾地咕哝着。
I caressed, in order to soothe him.
我抚摸着他给他以安慰。
I knew of what he was thinking, and wanted to speak for him, but dared not.
我知道他心里想些什么,并想替他说出来,但我又不敢。
As he turned aside his face a minute, I saw a tear slide from under the sealed eyelid, and trickle down the manly cheek.
他的脸转开的一刹那,我看到一滴眼泪从封闭着的眼睑滑下来,流到了富有男子气的脸颊上。
My heart swelled.
我的心膨胀起来了。
"I am no better than the old lightning-struck chestnut-tree in Thornfield orchard," he remarked ere long.
“我并不比桑菲尔德果园那棵遭雷击的老栗子树好多少,”没有过多久他说。
"And what right would that ruin have to bid a budding woodbine cover its decay with freshness?"
“那些残枝,有什么权利吩咐一棵爆出新芽的忍冬花以自己的鲜艳来掩盖它的腐朽呢?”
"You are no ruin, sir -- no lightning-struck tree: you are green and vigorous.
“你不是残枝,先生——不是遭雷击的树。你碧绿而茁壮。
Plants will grow about your roots, whether you ask them or not, because they take delight in your bountiful shadow;
不管你求不求,花草会在你根子周围长出来,因为它们乐于躲在你慷慨的树荫下。
and as they grow they will lean towards you, and wind round you, because your strength offers them so safe a prop."
长大了它们会偎依着你,缠绕着你,因为你的力量给了它们可靠的支撑。”
Again he smiled: I gave him comfort.
他再次笑了起来,我又给了他安慰。
"You speak of friends, Jane?" he asked.
“你说的是朋友吗,简?”他问。