The first day passed. There was a major battle nearby, and a number of wounded were brought back to the camp.
第一天过去了,附近发生了一场大规模的战斗,一些伤员被抬回营地。
The dead soldiers were replaced by others, and life went on.
阵亡士兵会被其他人替代,而生活会继续下去。
Death doesn't change anything, the boy thought.
一切都不会因死亡而有所改变,男孩想。
"You could have died later on," a soldier said to the body of one of his companions.
“你原本可以死得晚一点,”一名守候在同伴尸体旁的士兵说道。
"You could have died after peace had been declared. But, in any case, you were going to die."
“你本可以等到和平降临的时候再死。但是,无论如何,最终你还是得死。”
At the end of the day, the boy went looking for the alchemist, who had taken his falcon out into the desert.
天黑之前,男孩去找炼金术士。炼金术士正要带上猎鹰去沙漠。
"I still have no idea how to turn myself into the wind," the boy repeated.
“我不知道怎样把自己变成风。”男孩又一次说。
"Remember what I told you: the world is only the visible aspect of God.
“记住我对你说的话:世界只不过是上帝的映像。
And that what alchemy does is to bring spiritual perfection into contact with the material plane."
炼金术就是把精神的完美带到物质层面上来。”
"What are you doing?"
“您在干什么?”
"Feeding my falcon."
“喂我的猎鹰。”
"If I'm not able to turn myself into the wind, we're going to die," the boy said. "Why feed your falcon?"
“如果我不能把自己变成风,我们都得死。”男孩说,“还喂什么猎鹰呢?”
"You're the one who may die," the alchemist said.
“将要死的是你,”炼金术士说。
"I already know how to turn myself into the wind."
“我知道怎样把自己变成风。”