Anyone else been having some super vivid dreams lately?
最近有没有人做过一些非常生动的梦?
Or a lot more nightmares than usual?
或者比平时做更多的噩梦?
Join the club.
加入我们的俱乐部吧。
Vivid dreams have gotten pretty common during this strange, socially-isolated time we're all living through,
在这个陌生的,社会关系疏离的时期,生动的梦变得很常见,
especially unpleasant or stressful ones.
尤其是那些不愉快或有压力的梦。
And there's a good psychological reason for that.
这存在很好的心理原因。
Dreams are complicated, but one thing we know is that vivid dreams seem to be tied to light sleep.
梦是复杂的,但有一点我们知道,生动的梦似乎与浅睡眠有关。
We've talked about that before in our episode on remembering dreams, but the gist of it is this:
我们以前在回忆梦的那集节目里也谈到过,其要点是:
Every time you come out of deep sleep and stir awake, your brain emits a hormone called norepinephrine,
每次你从沉睡中醒来,大脑会释放出一种叫做去甲肾上腺素的激素,
which helps solidify memories in your brain.
它有助于巩固大脑中的记忆。
So you remember your dreams more vividly.
所以,你会更清楚地记得自己的梦。
On the other hand, if you're sleeping soundly, your norepinephrine levels stay low,
另一方面,如果你睡得很香,去甲肾上腺素水平会很低,
meaning your brain is less likely to keep a record of the things you experienced while you were dreaming.
意味着大脑不太可能记录做梦时所经历的事情。
Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of people aren't sleeping so soundly these days, and our dreams are giving us away.
不幸的是,现在似乎很多人睡得不太好,而梦说出了我们的心声。
That's not super-surprising.
这并不奇怪。
Two of the leading causes of disrupted sleep are stress and anxiety.
造成睡眠中断的两个主要原因是压力和焦虑。
But that's not the only thing going on.
但这不是唯一的原因。
See, you have most of your dreams during REM sleep,
你看,大部分的梦都是在快速眼动睡眠中发生的,
which are cycles of deep sleep where your mind is basically as active as it is during your waking life.
这是一个深度睡眠周期,大脑基本上和你清醒时一样活跃。
You generally have a few cycles of REM sleep every night,
你通常每晚经历几个快速眼动睡眠周期,
but the amount of time you spend in REM sleep can depend on how you're doing psychologically.
但你花在快速眼动睡眠上的时间取决于心理状态。
In 2019, a study by the University of Surrey found that,
2019年,萨里大学的一项研究发现,
in mice, a rise in stress and anxiety is linked to longer and more frequent REM cycles.
在老鼠身上,压力和焦虑的增加与更长和更频繁的快速眼动周期有关。
The research suggests that this increase in REM helps the mouse brains react to and deal with stress, and the same may be true for humans.
研究表明,快速眼动的增加有助于老鼠大脑对压力作出反应和处理,人类也可能是这样。
So, as the brain is responding to that stress with more REM, it's also increasing the amount of time it has to make dreams.
因此,当大脑以更多的快速眼动周期来应对压力时,它也增加了做梦的时间。
Similarly, research has found, when you're sleep-deprived, the sleep you do get is more intense.
同样,研究发现,当你睡眠不足时,睡眠状态会更紧张。
For one, your brain is more active when you're asleep, generating more intense dreams.
首先,当你睡着时大脑会更活跃,产生更强烈的梦。
But on top of that, it will try to make up for lost time by sending you into REM sleep much faster than usual.
但最重要的是,它会比平时更快地让你进入快速眼动睡眠,以此来弥补失去的时间。
You'll also have longer periods of REM as your brain tries to recover.
大脑试图恢复时,你也会有更长的快速眼动期。
This is called REM rebound, and during these intense periods of sleep, people tend to have especially vivid dreams.
这被称为快速眼动反射,在这些紧张的睡眠期,人们往往有特别生动的梦。
So if you put all that together, if you're stressed out and sleeping fitfully,
所以,把这些拼凑在一起,你在压力很大,睡眠断断续续时,在真入睡后,
you're probably having more intense sleep when you actually do get some shut-eye, which is giving you the wild dreams.
你可能会有更紧张的睡眠状态,这时你就会做狂野之梦。
And then you're remembering the dreams especially well because you're sleeping lightly
你会很好地记住这些梦,因为你睡得很轻,
and giving your brain a chance to commit those dreams to memory.
让大脑有机会记住那些梦。
Maybe you feel like you're sleeping fine, though, and you're still having wild dreams.
不过,也许你觉得自己睡得很好,但还在做着疯狂的梦。
Well, no matter how well you're sleeping, the types of dreams people have tend to mirror the challenges they face during the day.
好吧,不管你睡得多好,人们做的梦往往反映出他们白天所面临的挑战。
That might seem kind of obvious if you're someone who tends to remember your dreams, and sure enough, the research backs it up.
如果你是一个倾向于记住梦的人,这可能看起来有点明显,而且有研究能证实这一点。
A 2017 study looked at the connection between people's waking lives and their dreams
2017年的一项研究调查了人们清醒时的生活和梦境之间的联系,
and found that, if a subject was feeling frustrated, scared, or unfulfilled throughout their day,
发现如果受试者一整天都感到沮丧、害怕或没有成就感,
those feelings would often show up again in some form in their dreams that night.
这些感觉往往会在那晚的梦中以某种形式再次出现。
The severity of those emotions during the day also seemed to be tied to the intensity of their dreams.
白天这些情绪的严重程度,似乎也与梦境的强度有关。
One theory suggests that when we have unresolved worries or fears about something from our waking lives,
一种理论认为,当我们对醒着的生活中的某件事有未解决的忧虑或恐惧时,
our subconscious tries to create similar situations in our dreams as a sort of defense mechanism.
潜意识会在梦中制造类似的情况,作为一种防御机制。
That's where we get nightmares, or what you might think of as "stress dreams".
这时就做噩梦了,或者可以把它看做是“压力梦”。
You know, the ones where you're falling, being chased by a scary thing, locked up, or repeatedly failing at something.
那些摔倒、被可怕之物追赶、被关起来或者屡屡失败。
The plots don't vary all that much.
情节变化不大。
And unfortunately, these dreams can be especially memorable, because you often realize you're having a nightmare and wake up,
不幸的是,这些梦可能会特别令人难忘,因为你经常意识到自己在做噩梦然后醒来,
which gives you that burst of norepinephrine that helps solidify your memories.
这会给你一种帮助巩固记忆的去甲肾上腺素。
So if you feel like you've been having a lot of bad dreams lately, you're not alone.
所以,如果你觉得最近做了很多噩梦,你并不是唯一遇到这种情况的人。
And there are ways to try to stave them off.
有很多方法可以避免这些噩梦。
Like, meditating, practicing yoga, or reading before bed help calm anxiety.
比如,冥想、做瑜伽或睡前阅读都有助于缓解焦虑。
If you have recurring stress dreams, you could also try something called Imagery Rehearsal Therapy.
如果你反复做压力梦,也可以尝试一种叫做表象排练疗法。
Before you go to bed, replay the recurring dream in your head, but change the ending to something more comforting.
睡觉之前,在脑海里重温一遍反复出现的梦,但改成更令人安慰的结局。
Studies have found that this technique can help reduce the frequency of recurring dreams or make them less intense when they do happen.
研究发现,这种技术可以帮助减少反复出现之梦境的频率,或者在这种梦发生时降低其的强度。
And if you're just having harmless, wild dreams,
如果你只是在做一些无害的疯狂之梦,
well, maybe you can at least enjoy this temporary peek into your subconscious while it lasts.
也许你可以享受一下这种对潜意识的短暂窥视。
Thanks for watching this episode of SciShow Psych!
感谢收看本期《心理科学秀》!
If you liked this video and you've wondered why you're especially good or bad at remembering your dreams,
如果你喜欢本视频,并且想知道为什么你特别擅长或不擅长回忆梦境,
you can find our episode on that right after this.
可以随后看看我们的那期节目。