Oh! Hi, Squeaks! I've been so excited about the rockets flying to Mars the last few months, I decided it was time to build my own rocket.
哦!嗨,吱吱。过去的几个月里我一直对火箭飞向火星非常兴奋,我决定是时候建造属于我自己的火箭了。
This rocket would be way too small for me to travel in.
这个火箭对我来说太小了。
This straw rocket is a model of a big rocket.
这个吸管火箭是大火箭的模型。
It looks kind of like a real rocket, and works in a similar way, too.
它看上去和真正的火箭有点像,工作方式也很相似。
So it can help us learn about how real ones work!
所以它可以帮助我们了解真正的火箭是如何工作的!
Remember how rockets lift off into space?
还记得火箭是怎样发射到太空的吗?
That's right! Hot gases rush out of the bottom of the rocket with so much force that the rocket shoots up into the sky, and eventually all the way to space!
没错!炽热的气体从火箭的底部以巨大的力量喷出,推动火箭直冲云霄,并最终进入太空!
My straw rocket works in a similar way.
我的吸管火箭也是这样工作的。
I made the rocket by wrapping paper into a tube around a pencil.
我是这样制作火箭的:我把纸卷成一根管子,绕在一支铅笔上。
Then I taped it into shape around the pencil and taped it closed at the top.
然后我用胶带把它贴在铅笔周围,并封上顶部。
Finally, I replaced the pencil with a straw.
最后,我把铅笔换成吸管。
Now it just needs something to push the rocket forward.
现在我们它只需要一些东西来推动火箭前进。
Ready to see?
准备好了吗?
The air I blew into the straw launched the rocket!
我用吹进吸管的空气将火箭发射了出去!
It acted like the hot gas that pushes a real rocket into the sky.
它的作用就像热气体推动真正的火箭飞向天空一样。
I've tried a few designs for my model rocket.
我为我的火箭模型尝试了几种设计。
The first design was just a tube, but it didn't really fly well.
最初的设计只是一个管子,但它飞得不太好。
I tried adding paper fins, like the metal ones on a real rocket.
我试着添加纸鳍,就像真正火箭上的金属鳍一样。
Now, my model flies pretty well.
现在,我的模型能够飞得很好。
But I want it to go really high.
但我想让它飞得很高。
What do you think we could do to make it go farther?
你觉得我们怎么能让它飞得更远?
Ooh, great idea!
哦,好主意!
Squeaks thinks the rocket might fly farther if we could get more air into it.
吱吱认为,如果我们能让更多的空气进入火箭,它可能会飞得更远。
And that gives me an idea!
我想到了一个主意!
Let's use a stomp rocket.
咱们用跺脚火箭。
I built this myself out of a PVC pipe, strong tape, and an empty plastic 2-liter bottle.
这是我自己用一根PVC管、强力胶带和一个2升的空塑料瓶子做的。
You can find instructions for how you and a grownup helper can build your own stomp rocket in the description!
在视频下方的介绍里有关于(和一个成年助手一起)制作跺脚火箭的方法!
To make our rocket, we'll need construction paper, tape and scissors.
要做这样的火箭,我们需要图画用纸、胶带和剪刀。
First, we'll roll the construction paper into a tube, just big enough that it fits loosely over the PVC pipe.
首先,我们要把图画用纸卷成一根管子,管子要足够大,能松松地套在PVC管子上。
We'll use the tape to hold it in shape.
我们用胶带把它固定住。
We can tape paper fins and a cone on the top, too, so it looks just like a real rocket.
我们还可以在顶部粘上纸翼和锥形,这样它看起来就和真正的火箭一样了。
Now, let's go outside and try out our stomp rocket!
现在,咱们出去试试我们的跺脚火箭吧!
Oh, we're not actually going to stomp our rocket model.
哦,我们并不是真的要踩我们的火箭模型。
We're going to stomp on the launcher!
我们要踩的是发射器。
That way, we can blow air into the rocket a lot better than I could just by breathing.
那样的话,我们就能把空气吹进火箭,比我只靠呼吸好多了。
This 2-liter bottle goes on the other end of the PVC pipe.
这个2升的瓶子放在PVC管的另一端。
And I've already taped around it, so no air can escape.
我已经用胶带把它包起来了,这样空气就逃不掉了。
When we stomp on the bottle, all of the air inside of the bottle will need to escape.
当我们踩这个瓶子时,瓶子里的空气就会全部逸出。
Where do you think it will go, Squeaks?
吱吱,你觉得火箭会去哪里?
That's right! The air will get pushed really quickly through the pipe, and push up on the rocket really, really hard.
没错!空气会很快通过管道,并对火箭产生非常非常大的推力。
Before we try it, I think we should move outside, so we can launch our rocket safely.
在我们尝试之前,我想我们应该到外面去,这样我们就可以安全地发射火箭了。
Ready? Three, two, one, lift off!
准备好了吗?三、二、一,发射!
Wow! What did you think of our first flight, Squeaks?
哇!吱吱,你觉得我们的第一次飞行怎么样?
I think we could make our stomp rocket go even higher, though.
不过我想我们可以让我们的火箭飞得更高。
What do you think, Squeaks?
你觉得呢,吱吱?
How could we improve this design?
我们如何改进这个设计?
That's a good idea! If the air is leaking out somewhere, there won't be enough to push the rocket, so it won't fly as high.
好主意!如果某处的空气漏了,那么就没有足够的空气来推动火箭,所以它就无法飞得很高。
If we tape up places that could leak, it could improve our design by making sure all of the air is pushing the rocket up.
如果我们把可能泄漏的地方封起来,就能改进我们的设计,确保所有的空气都能用来推动火箭升空。
Let's go make some changes and see if they help our model fly even better, Squeaks!
吱吱,咱们做一些改动,看看能不能帮助我们的火箭模型飞得更高!
You can build a model rocket, too!
打击也可以自己做火箭模型!
Ask a grown-up for help gathering materials, and building and testing your model.
向成年人寻求帮助,收集材料,构建并测试你的火箭模型。
Can you create a super-fast straw rocket, or a stomp rocket that flies as high as a house?
你能造出一个超快的跺脚火箭,或者一个能飞得像房子一样高的跺脚火箭吗?
What ideas do you have to improve our rocket designs? Good luck!
你有什么有关改进火箭的想法吗?祝你好运!