Avocados. Americans love them.
牛油果。美国人爱吃牛油果。
For what other food would you pay 15 dollars to have someone bring it to your table and mash it up in front of you?
有什么别的食物是你愿意花15美金让人打成糊糊给你端到桌上来?
There's probably a hipster in Brooklyn right now ordering a 15-dollar avocado toast as we speak.
我们说话的这会儿布鲁克林的时髦精很有可能就点了这么一个15美金的牛油果吐司。
And that's on the cheap side.
这还有点便宜了。
Give me, like, 25 dollars.
给我来一个,25美金的。
I mean, that's insanity, honestly.
我说,有点夸张了,真的。
So I have a question.
所以我有个问题。
Why would people pay seemingly absurd prices for something so simple?
为什么人们愿意花这看起来离谱的价钱来买一些明明就很普通的东西呢?
Marketing.
市场营销。
There was probably a time in the US when you couldn't pay people to eat avocados and actually they were known as “alligator pears”.
在美国的某一个时期人们根本就不吃牛油果,那时候它们被大家叫做“鳄鱼梨”。
And then something changed.
之后事情发生了变化。
In the 1990s, there was a Super Bowl marketing campaign where NFL players shared their favorite guacamole recipes.
到了1990年代,在超级碗橄榄球联赛的营销活动中,橄榄球运动员向大家分享他们喜欢的牛油果沙拉酱食谱。
With the help of this, over time, avocados went from a relative obscurity in the US to one of the most consumed fruits.
有了这一加成,一段时间之后,牛油果从无人问津一跃而成为了美国最畅销水果之一。
Now what’s interesting about this is who was behind the campaign: Californian avocado farmers.
在这场营销活动的背后有什么有趣的事情呢;加州的牛油果种植者。
They had a product, they funded a highly visible and successful marketing campaign, put money in their pockets and ultimately changed the way people eat.
他们有了产品之后,出资进行了一场针对大众的极为成功的营销活动,赚得盆满钵满不说,还永远改变了人们的饮食习惯。
So today I want to talk to you about how marketing can be a catalyst to improve the livelihoods of farmers, but not in the US, in Africa.
所以今天想告诉大家市场营销这一催化剂是怎么发挥作用改善农民生计的,但不是在美国,而是在非洲。
And how the development community, and by that, I mean NGOs, philanthropists and international development agencies can use marketing to positively impact society, the economy and the environment.
发展共同体、非营利组织、慈善家和国际发展中国家政府机构可以用市场营销为社会提供积极影响,改善经济与环境。
So I am South African and American, I have lived and worked throughout Africa with a professional focus on food and agriculture.
我既是南非人也是美国人,我在非洲生活和工作,我是粮食与农业方面的专业工作者。
And I've had the opportunity to study lots of development programs and even work on some myself.
我有机会研究很多的发展项目甚至亲身参与其中。
And through that I have met farmers, spoken to them, and some of them have said, "I have a product, but I don't have a market in which to sell it."
因为我有机会和农民见面,和她们交谈,有些人告诉我,“我有农产品,但没有可以销售它的市场。”
Or, "I have a market, but it's too small."
或“我有市场,但是它太小了。”
So I want to talk about how to change that.
所以我想谈的是怎样改变这种局面。
Now, just a reminder, Africa is a continent, not a country.
大家注意,非洲是一块大陆,而不是一个国家。
And in sub-Saharan Africa, agriculture makes up a large part of the economy.
在撒哈拉沙漠以南的非洲地区,农业构成了经济的主要部分。
It makes up 20 percent of GDP, about 60 percent of employment, and many of the people in agriculture are smallholders.
农业占国民生产总值的百分之20,百分之60的就业人口,大部分的农业人口是小佃农。
So they live on less than two hectares of land and have very small incomes that put them at or below the poverty line.
他们靠不足两公顷的土地生活,微薄的收入让他们处于甚至低于贫困线以下。
For decades, the development community has been trying to change this, primarily with a supply side-focus of working with farmers, giving them access to seeds and fertilizers,
数十年来,发展共同体都在致力于改变这一现象,起初是聚焦于补足农民需要的生产资料,给他们获得种子和肥料的途径,
showing them how to improve their productivity so that they could grow more, have more to sell and eat and ultimately increase their incomes, which is the end goal.
演示怎么提高产量,那么他们可以提高收成,有更多的产品可以拿去买或者自己吃,从而增加他们的收入,这是最终的目标。
Billions of dollars have been spent on this.
数十亿美金花在了这上面。
And unfortunately, today, many African farmers are still poor.
不幸的是,到了今天,很多非洲农民依旧贫困。
So why is that?
为什么?
Well, farmers are part of the equation.
农民其实是这个产业等式中的一部分。
They supply food, but obviously we know the other part of the equation is demand.
他们提供食物,很明显我们知道等式的另一边是需求。
They need to have demand for the goods that they're growing.
他们需要为他们正在种植的作物寻找需求。
And it's true that the international development community is increasingly linking farmers to markets so that they have places to sell what they grow.
国际上的发展中社区确实正在致力于加强农民与市场的联系,这样他们才能找到市场销售他们的作物。
And that's good.
这很好。