Storytelling is the oldest thing that humans do.
讲故事是人类做的最古老的事情。
We've been doing it for thousands and thousands of years long before there was written language before there was any medium to convey it.
在书面语言出现之前,在任何媒介出现之前,我们已经这样做了好几千年。
People sat around and they told each other stories, and it's how we teach each other things.
人们围坐在一起,互相讲故事,这就是我们互相传授东西的方式。
We learn from stories; we learn from fiction.
我们从故事中学习;我们从小说中学习。
We learn from fiction because we get to live an alternate life, in that moment you watch this and you're learning.
我们从小说中学习,因为我们可以过另一种生活,在那一刻,你看着它,你就在学习。
So, it can be fun, it can be action, it can be funny, it can be comedy.
因此,它可以是有趣的,可以是动作的,可以是有趣的,可以是喜剧。
But the very best things take those elements and teach a little something.
但最好的东西是利用这些元素,并教会我们一些东西。
There's something in there that you walk away with and you're inspired by it.
这里面有一些东西,你带着它走,你会受到启发。
It doesn't matter if it's drama, comedy, anything, you're going to walk away with something and there needs to be lightness.
无论是戏剧、喜剧还是任何东西,你都会带走一些东西,需要的是轻松。
You know you can't watch something that's just all heavy and you're like, ‘Oh my God, I want to kill myself now.
你不能看这么重的东西,你会觉得,‘哦,天哪,我现在想自杀。’
There also has to be that gesture there has to be somebody who brings you out and lets you breathe a little bit.
还必须有这样的姿态,必须有人带你出来,让你喘口气。
So, and this is so hard to do.
所以,这是很难做到的。
That's why there is so much bad, so many bad movies and so many bad TV shows.
这就是为什么有那么多糟糕的电影和糟糕的电视剧。
Because it is one of the hardest things that humans do is tell riveting, engaging, inspiring stories.
因为人类最难做的事情之一就是讲述引人入胜、迷人的、鼓舞人心的故事。
But when you get it right it's a lever that can change the world.
但当你做对了,它就是一个可以改变世界的杠杆。
Are you a competitive producer?
你是一个有竞争力的制片人吗?
Am I what?
我是什么?
A competitive producer and I don't mean business wise; I mean creatively.
一个有竞争力的制片人,我不是指商业智慧,我是指创造性。
Like, would you see a film or a show on another platform, like what you described which is brilliant and be like, ‘why don't I have this?
比如,你会不会在另一个平台上看一部电影或一部剧,就像你所描述的那样,很精彩,然后会问,‘为什么我没有做出这个?’
Well, I have regrets.
嗯,我有遗憾。
I mean we've turned down things that later were so good.
我的意思是,我们已经拒绝了后来非常好的东西。
I wish we hadn't turned them down.
我希望我们没有拒绝他们。
But we've also picked up things that other people turned down and we've made them great.
但我们也接受了其他人拒绝的东西,我们把它们变得很棒。
So, the truth is the storytelling is infinite.
所以,事实是故事是无限的。
If I tell a good story it doesn't make your story bad.
如果我讲一个好故事,也不会让你的故事变坏。
These are not substitute products, you know.
你知道,这些都不是替代产品。
So, it is I don't feel like you get the best results with storytelling by trying to make sure that other people's stories are worse than your stories.
所以, 你通过试图确保别人的故事比你的故事更糟糕,你就不会得到最好的讲故事的结果。
This is one of those things where you can, there can be a lot of good stories in the world.
这是世界上的众多好故事之一。
You're really competing not against others; you're competing against this just the complexity of how hard it is.
你实际上是在竞争,而不是和其他人竞争;你是在和这件事竞争,只是它有多难。
That's why, you guys have all seen this.
这就是为什么,你们都看到了这个。
If you're in the entertainment business, there are movies and tv shows where you know the people involved, and every one of those people is talented and still the final product is bad.
如果你在娱乐行业,你会在电影和电视节目中认识相关的人,他们每个人都很有才华,但最终的产品却很糟糕。
It happens.
常有的事。
And because there's a little bit of mystery to it, we don't know how to do it perfectly.
因为它有一点神秘,我们不知道如何完美地完成它。
And that's what makes it so fun.
这就是它之所以如此有趣的原因。
Because there isn’t artistic element to it.
因为它没有艺术元素。
It is not science.
这不是科学。