手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 品牌英语听力 > 六分钟英语 > 正文

第531期:社交媒体与青少年健康 Social media and teenage health

来源:可可英语 编辑:Leon   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Hello. This is 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English. I’m Neil.

你好。这里是BBC英语六分钟。我是尼尔。

… Beth? What are you doing? Get off your phone!

……贝丝? 你在干什么? 放下你的手机!

Ohh, sorry. And I’m Beth.

哦,对不起。我是贝丝。

Are you addicted to social media? It wouldn't be a surprise.

你是否对社交媒体上瘾了? 这可不是一个惊喜。

With so many different apps out there, Snapchat, TikTok, and the latest, Threads, it's easy to spend a lot more time on your phone than ever before.

手机上有这么多不同的应用程序,色拉布、抖音和最新的线程,人们在上面花费的时间很容易比以往任何时候都多。

Yes. I don't think I'm addicted, but I definitely spend more time on social media than I would like to.

是的。我不认为我上瘾了,但我在社交媒体上花的时间肯定比我想的要多。

However, there are plenty of studies out there looking at how social media affects mental health with some saying it can be as addictive as gambling.

然而,有很多研究都在分析社交媒体是如何影响心理健康的,有些研究认为社交媒体可能会像赌博一样让人上瘾。

Research in the US has found that adolescents who spend more than three hours a day on social media have double the risk of developing depression and anxiety.

美国的一项研究发现,每天花在社交媒体上的时间超过3小时的青少年患抑郁症和焦虑症的风险增加了一倍。

An adolescent is someone aged 10 to 19, between childhood and adulthood.

青少年是指年龄在10到19岁之间,介于童年和成年之间的人。

With that in mind, it's no wonder parents are worried.

考虑到这一点,难怪家长们会担心。

To help with this, the US is currently in the process of regulating social media apps for teenagers.

为了解决这个问题,美国目前正在规范青少年社交媒体应用程序。

Some scientists think the UK should do the same.

一些科学家认为英国也应该这样做。

There has been growing agreement among health experts about the negative, chronic health effects of social media use on teenagers.

健康专家越来越一致地认为,社交媒体的使用对青少年的健康有慢性负面影响。

They have revealed in surveys that social media makes them feel worse about their body image, and 64% of teens have said they are regularly exposed to hate-based content.

他们在调查中透露,社交媒体让他们对自己的身体形象感觉更糟,64%的青少年表示他们经常接触到仇恨内容。

In this programme, we’ll be discussing how social media affects teenagers, and, as usual, we’ll be learning some useful new vocabulary as well.

在今天的节目中,我们将讨论社交媒体是如何影响青少年的,并且像往常一样,我们也会学习一些有用的新词汇。

But first I have a question for you, Beth.

但首先我有个问题要问你,贝丝。

The app Snapchat is a very common way that teenagers communicate these days.

色拉布应用程序是现在青少年交流的一种非常普遍的方式。

This is partly because messages and photos disappear after a certain time period.

部分原因是短信和照片会在一段时间后消失。

But, what percentage of 13 to 24- year-olds use Snapchat?

但是,13到24岁的年轻人中有多少人使用色拉布?

Is it: a) 70%, b) 80% or c) 90%?

是a) 70%, b) 80%还是c) 90% ?

I'll guess 80%.

我猜是80%。

OK, Beth, I'll reveal the answer later in the programme.

好的,贝丝,稍后我会在节目中揭晓答案。

Now, a lot of social media platforms, such as TikTok, work by showing and suggesting similar accounts and content to those someone has already searched for.

现在,许多社交媒体平台,如抖音,都是通过展示并推荐与用户搜过的东西相似的账户和内容来运作的。

Professor Devi Sridhar, the chair of global public health at the University of Edinburgh, thinks this can be concerning, as she told BBC World Service programme, Inside Science:

爱丁堡大学全球公共卫生系主任德维·斯里达尔教授认为,这可能令人担忧,正如她在BBC世界服务节目《科学内部》中所说:

And this is worrying for example, with young girls and eating disorders, that they're being fed that in an addictive way and the algorithm is saying 'oh they like that content.

这是令人担忧的,例如,年轻女孩和饮食失调症的联系,她们被灌输这些内容并且逐渐上瘾,而算法会说,哦,她们喜欢那些内容。

We want to keep giving it to them because it keeps them on their phones', and I think that's the really vital message here, of any of these apps, is that their revenue comes from advertising.

我们希望继续提供这些给她们,因为这让她们一直看手机,我认为这对于所有这些应用来说,是真正重要的信息,因为它们的收入来自广告。

Teenagers are being fed content in a way that is addictive.

青少年正在以一种令人上瘾的方式被灌输信息。

If you are fed something, it means you are given something.

如果你被灌输了某物,这意味着你被给予了一些东西。

In this case, it refers to content, not food.

在这种情况下,它指的是内容而不是食物。

The content is addictive because social media uses algorithms.

因为社交媒体使用了算法,所以内容会让人上瘾。

Algorithms are a complex set of rules and calculations that prioritise and personalise the content a user sees.

算法是一套复杂的规则和计算,可以对用户看到的内容进行优先排序和个性化设置。

But we need to remember that social media platforms use algorithms to keep users on the platforms for as long as possible because the revenue comes from advertising.

但我们需要记住,社交媒体平台使用算法是为了让用户尽可能长时间地留在平台上,因为其收入来自广告。

Revenue is the money a company earns.

收入是公司赚的钱。

They are paid by other companies to use the social media space to promote their products.

其他公司付钱给他们,让他们利用社交媒体空间推广自己的产品。

This could be seen as social media platforms prioritising making money over the mental health of users – a worry for parents.

这可以被视为社交媒体平台优先考虑赚钱而不是用户的心理健康——这是家长们担心的问题。

Professor Devi Sridhar talked about the challenges of having a teenager addicted to social media on BBC World Service programme, Inside Science:

德维·斯里达尔教授在BBC世界服务节目《科学内部》中谈到了青少年对社交媒体上瘾所带来的挑战:

And so, I think the challenge here, as a parent, listening to this is what do you do about it.

所以,我认为,作为一个家长,听到这些,面临的挑战是你该怎么做。

And I think the onus has really been put on parents and concerned adults to find solutions on their own.

我认为父母和关心此事的成年人有责任自己找到解决办法。

And that means debates with your child over what are you on, are you using this, but it's a losing battle because it's their entire social network.

这意味着和你的孩子争论你在用什么,是否也在用这个,但这是一场必败的争论,因为这是他们的整个社交网络。

Professor Sridhar says that, when it comes to helping teenagers navigate social media, the onus has been put on parents to find solutions.

斯里达尔教授说,在帮助青少年浏览社交媒体方面,找到解决办法的责任落在了父母身上。

The onus means the responsibility or duty.

负担的意思是责任或义务。

Parents need to be able to challenge their children when they need to, even if this is a losing battle, a fight they cannot win, as teenagers have their 'entire life' on social networks.

父母需要在必要的时候挑战他们的孩子,即使这是一场必败的战斗,一场他们不可能赢的战斗,因为青少年的“整个生活”都在社交网络上。

OK, Beth. I think it’s time I revealed the answer to my question.

好吧,贝丝。我想是时候揭晓我问题的答案了。

I asked you what percentage of 13 to 24-year-olds use Snapchat?

我问你13到24岁的人中有多少人使用色拉布?

And I said it was 80%.

我说是80%

And that was… I'm sorry to say, the wrong answer!

很抱歉,这是错误的答案!

Actually 90% of people aged between 13 and 24 use Snapchat – quite a lot.

实际上,年龄在13到24岁之间的人中有90%都在使用色拉布——相当多。

OK, let's recap the vocabulary we've learned from this programme, starting with adolescent, a person aged 10 to 19: between childhood and adulthood.

好的,让我们回顾一下今天节目中学到的词汇,从青春期开始,一个10到19岁的人,介于童年和成年之间。

If you are fed content, you are given content.

如果你被灌输了网上信息,你就得到了网上信息。

This is what the social media platform offers you automatically, rather than what you search for yourself.

这是社交媒体平台自动提供给你的内容,而不是你自己搜索的内容。

Algorithms are a complex set of rules and calculations that prioritise and personalise the content a user sees.

算法是一套复杂的规则和计算,可以对用户看到的内容进行优先排序和个性化设置。

Revenue is the money a company earns, which could come from sales or advertising.

收入是公司赚的钱,可以来自销售或广告。

If the onus is on someone, it's their responsibility or duty.

如果在某人身上有负担,那就是他们的责任或义务。

And finally, a losing battle is a fight you cannot win.

最后,一场必败的战斗是一场你不可能赢的战斗。

Once again, our six minutes are up.

六分钟又到了。

Join us again soon for more useful vocabulary, here at 6 Minute English!

欢迎再次收听我们的节目,学习更多有用的词汇。

Goodbye for now! Bye!

再见了! 拜拜!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
vital ['vaitl]

想一想再看

adj. 至关重要的,生死攸关的,有活力的,致命的

联想记忆
social ['səuʃəl]

想一想再看

adj. 社会的,社交的
n. 社交聚会

 
challenge ['tʃælindʒ]

想一想再看

n. 挑战
v. 向 ... 挑战

 
adolescent [.ædə'lesnt]

想一想再看

adj. 青春期的,青少年的
n. 青少年

联想记忆
automatically [.ɔ:tə'mætikəli]

想一想再看

adv. 自动地,机械地

 
chronic ['krɔnik]

想一想再看

adj. 长期的,慢性的,惯常的

联想记忆
exposed [iks'pəuzd]

想一想再看

adj. 暴露的,无掩蔽的,暴露于风雨中的 v. 暴露,

 
global ['gləubəl]

想一想再看

adj. 全球性的,全世界的,球状的,全局的

联想记忆
anxiety [æŋ'zaiəti]

想一想再看

n. 焦虑,担心,渴望

 
complex ['kɔmpleks]

想一想再看

adj. 复杂的,复合的,合成的
n. 复合体

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。