The end of the year can be a busy time for the gardeners who face cold winters were they live.
对于那些在居住地面临寒冷冬天的园丁们来说,年底可能是他们忙碌的时候。
There is the harvest when they collect the season's crops.
在收获季节他们要收割当季的庄稼。
Then comes the hard work of gathering fallen leaves and work to clean up flower beds and plant garlic before the ground gets too hard.
然后是收拢落叶的艰苦工作,以及在地面变得太硬之前清理花坛和种植大蒜的工作。
Some gardeners might even have to mow the grass one last time before the snow and cold weather.
一些园丁甚至可能不得不在下雪和寒冷的天气到来之前最后一次割草。
But after a short winter break, many gardeners start to think in January about what comes next.
但在短暂的冬季假期之后,许多园丁在1月份开始思考接下来要做什么。
They let go of what they did last year and start to plan their next moves for the new year.
他们放下去年做过的事情,开始为新的一年做下一步的行动计划。
While it might be snowing outside, gardeners in some northern parts of the world can be found staying warm inside.
虽然外面可能正在下雪,但在世界北部的一些地区,可以看到园丁正在室内取暖。
They might even look through advertisements for flowers or seeds that they can plant when the weather gets warm again.
他们甚至可能会翻阅广告,寻找可以在天气再次变暖时种植的花或种子。
For these gardeners, it seems that they have forgotten about the painful hands and hard work from 2021.
对于这些园丁来说,他们似乎已经忘记了2021年疼痛的双手和辛苦的劳动。
The new gardening writer for the Associated Press is Jeff Lowenfels.
美联社新的园艺作家是杰夫·洛文菲尔斯。
He shared some ideas for gardeners in 2022.
他向园丁们分享了一些2022年的想法。
He calls them New Year's Resolutions.
他称之为新年计划。
He asked, "Why not set a high bar for yourself?"
他问道:“为什么不给自己设定一个更高的标准呢?”
So, here are some of his ideas.
下面是他的一些想法。
This year, he suggested, is a good time to stop using gas-powered garden tools.
他建议,今年是停止使用天然气驱动的园艺工具的好时机。
For example, if you have a lawn mower powered by gasoline fuel, consider replacing it with a manual one.
例如,如果你有一台汽油驱动的割草机,可以考虑换成手动割草机。
If you cannot do that, Lowenfels suggests spacing out how often you use the gas-powered tools.
如果你不能换成手动割草机,洛文菲尔斯建议你减少使用天然气驱动的工具的频率。
If you used to mow two times a month, see what happens if you mow just once a month.
如果你过去一个月割两次草,看看如果你一个月只割一次草会怎么样。
His next idea is to plant things in your garden that help your neighbors more than yourself.
他的下一个想法是在你的花园里种植一些除了对你自己有帮助以外对你的邻居也有帮助的植物。
For example, Lowenfels said you can plant things in your garden that help bees, butterflies and birds.
例如,洛文菲尔斯说,你可以在你的花园里种植一些有益于蜜蜂、蝴蝶和鸟类的植物。
Not everything you plant has to be something you can eat or something that is pretty.
并不是你种的所有植物都必须是你可以吃的或者是漂亮的。
Lowenfels also noted that there are so many gardeners that people can plant food, harvest it, and donate it to local organizations.
洛文菲尔斯还指出,园丁如此之多,以至于人们可以种植食物,收获食物,并将其捐赠给当地组织。
Those groups can then give it to people who do not have enough food to eat.
然后,这些组织可以将其提供给那些没有足够食物吃的人。
Plant a row of plants for the hungry, he said.
他说,为饥饿的人种一排植物。
One way to reduce the amount of grass you need to cut each week is to grow different plants on your land instead of grass.
减少你每周需要割的草量的一种方法是在你的土地上种植不同的植物而不是草。
For example, he suggests joining the "less lawn" movement, which includes planting tall grasses that grow together as a way of taking up space.
例如,他建议加入“少草坪”运动,其中包括种植一起生长的高草,以此作为一种占据空间的方式。
They are easy to take care of and make your lawn smaller.
它们很容易照料,可以让你的草坪面积更小。
Another way to reduce the size of your lawn is to make outdoor space for social gatherings.
另一种减少草坪面积的方法是为社交聚会腾出户外空间。
Many people want to spend less time indoors because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
由于新冠疫情,许多人希望减少在室内的时间。
So, Lowenfels asked, why not make your yard a large gathering area?
因此,洛文菲尔斯问道,为什么不把你的院子变成一个大的聚会区呢?
Add a place where you can safely make a fire or put up a structure that can keep you out of the sun or rain.
增加一个你可以安全生火的地方,或者搭建一个可以让你躲避阳光和雨水的建筑。
If you can, he said, extend your wireless internet connection so you can listen to gardening podcasts while you are working in the yard.
他说,如果可以的话,扩展你的无线网络,这样你在院子里干活的时候就可以收听园艺播客了。
If you are thinking about all of that, Lowenfels said, you may be ready for 2022.
洛文菲尔斯说,如果你正在考虑所有这些,你可能为2022年做好了准备。
This year's gardening season has already begun, he reminded readers.
他提醒读者,今年的园艺季节已经开始了。
I'm Dan Friedell.
丹·弗里德尔为您播报。
译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!