And now, Words and Their Stories from VOA Learning English.
欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。
On this program we explore words and expressions in the English language.
在本节目中,我们探讨英语中的单词和短语。
The natural world gives us many of our expressions -- from weather to animals to plant life.
自然界给了我们许多词语——比如天气、动物、植物。
Today we talk about a kind of flower.
今天我们来谈谈一种花。
Daisies are big, bright, happy-looking flowers.
雏菊是大的、鲜艳的、好看的花。
They stand upright on strong stems.
它们笔直地挺立在强壮的花茎上。
So, if we describe someone as being "fresh as a daisy" we mean they seem well-rested and full of energy.
所以,如果我们用“fresh as a daisy”来形容某人,我们的意思是他们看起来休息得很好,精力充沛。
We often say we are fresh as a daisy after resting or getting cleaned up.
我们经常说,休息或梳洗干净后,我们精神焕发。
Here is an example.
下面是一个例子。
After an all-day hike, I was very tired.
走了一整天的路,我很累。
But after a shower and short rest, I felt fresh as a daisy and ready for the next activity.
但洗了个澡,休息了一会儿,我觉得精神焕发,准备好参加下一个活动了。
Looking fresh as a daisy can also describe a place or room that is clean and orderly.
Looking fresh as a daisy也可以形容一个地方或房间干净整洁。
For example, after the man cleaned and painted his kitchen, it looked fresh as a daisy.
例如,男人打扫并粉刷了他的厨房后,它焕然一新。
When a child is learning to walk, they often fall.
当孩子在学习走路时,他们经常会跌倒。
To encourage them to stand up and try again, we might say "upsy-daisy!"
为了鼓励他们站起来再试一次,我们可以说“upsy-daisy!”
We also might say "upsy-daisy" when we lift a child up.
当我们把孩子举起来时,我们也可以说“upsy-daisy”。
It just sounds cute! Upsy-daisy!
它听起来很可爱!起来,没事啦!
Speaking of children, a popular activity with some is to connect flowers together, like a chain, and wear them.
说到孩子,一项受一些人欢迎的活动是把花串起来,就像一条链子一样,戴在身上。
Because of their strong stems, daisies are commonly used to make "daisy chains."
由于其强壮的花茎,雏菊通常被用来制作“菊花链”。
A daisy chain can mean any connected events, experiences, happenings, or things.
菊花链可以指任何相关的事件、经历。
A daisy chain is also used to describe electrical signals that are connected in a system.
菊花链也用于描述连接在一个系统中的电信号。
Sometimes, this can be used as a verb.
有时,这个词可以用作动词。
When the Internet went down, I had to daisy-chain my phone to a friend's computer to share some videos.
当网络瘫痪时,我不得不将我的手机连接到朋友的电脑上,以分享一些视频。
There is also a strange way we use the flower "daisy."
还有一种使用“daisy”的奇怪方式。
If someone is "pushing up daisies," they are, unfortunately, dead and buried.
如果某人“pushing up daisies”,不幸的是,他们已经死了,被埋葬了。
This comes from the fact that wildflowers often grow on top of graves.
这是因为野花通常生长在坟墓的顶部。
We may use daisies for this expression because they grow easily and wildly in nature.
我们之所以可以用雏菊来表达这个意思,是因为它们在自然界中野蛮生长。
It is important to know that we only use this expression informally.
重要的是要知道,我们只在非正式场合使用这个短语。
Sometimes we use it as a joke.
有时我们用它开玩笑。
For example, I'll be pushing up daisies before a time travel machine is invented.
例如,在时光穿梭机被发明出来之前,我会先死去而被埋葬。
And that's all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories. Until next time ... I'm Anna Matteo.
以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。下次见……我是安娜·马特奥!
译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!