And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.
欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。
This program explores words and phrases in the English language.
在本节目中,我们探讨英语中的单词和短语。
And today we talk about an expression that comes from the world of vehicles and the engines that power them.
今天,我们要谈论一个源自汽车和驱动汽车的发动机的世界的短语。
In an internal combustion engine, a cylinder is said to be firing when the fuel inside it is ignited, or lit.
在内燃机中,当气缸内的燃料被点燃时,我们称之为气缸燃烧。
With that small, contained explosion, the engine starts and the car is ready to go!
随着小范围的可控的爆炸,发动机启动,汽车准备出发了!
Most engines have four cylinders.
大多数发动机有四个气缸。
Some very powerful vehicles have six or even eight cylinders!
有些非常强大的汽车有六个甚至八个气缸!
That brings us to today's expression: to fire on all cylinders.
这就引出了今天的短语:to fire on all cylinders。
When you are "firing on all cylinders," you are working or functioning at the greatest possible level of efficiency, speed or productivity.
当你“firing on all cylinders”时,你就是在以最高的效率、速度或生产效率工作。
In other words, you are at your peak performance.
换句话说,你正处于最佳状态。
You cannot do much better.
你做得最好。
Sometimes we use this expression to mean we are using all our energy to do something.
有时我们用这个短语来表示我们用我们全部的精力去做某事。
We are working as well as possible.
我们尽全力做好工作。
For example, some people can only fire on all cylinders after they have had a good night's sleep.
例如,有些人只有在睡了个好觉后才能开足马力。
We often use this expression in the negative form.
我们经常用这个短语的否定形式。
For example, every morning, I have two cups of very strong, black coffee.
例如,每天早上,我都要喝两杯非常浓的黑咖啡。
The coffee helps my brain come to life.
咖啡使我的大脑清醒。
So, if someone tries to talk to me in the morning before I've had my coffee, I might say to them.
所以,如果早上有人在我喝咖啡之前和我说话,我可能会对他们说。
"Can this wait? I'm not firing on all cylinders yet."
“可以等一下吗?我还没开足马力呢。”
However, I would probably not say that to a supervisor.
然而,我可能不会对主管这么说。
The expression is very informal.
这个短语很不正式。
Now let's hear this expression used by two co-workers.
现在我们来听一下两个同事是如何使用这个短语的。
Hey, can you hand me that notebook? It has all my notes for today's meeting.
嘿,你能把那个笔记本递给我吗?那上面有我今天会议的所有记录。
I'm sorry. Are you talking to me?
对不起。你在跟我说话吗?
You seem like you need more sleep.
你好像需要再多睡一会儿。
You do realize this meeting about our project will decide your future for the next month.
你一定知道这次有关我们项目的会议将决定你未来一个月的工作。
I know. It's just really early. I don't fire on all cylinders until at least 10am.
我知道。只是现在还太早。我至少要到上午10点才能开足马力。
Well, you had better get your cylinders fired up because here comes the client.
嗯,你最好开足马力,因为客户来了。
Before you take on your next big project, make sure you are firing on all cylinders.
在你承担你的下一个大项目之前,确保你开足马力。
And that's all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories. Until next time … I'm Anna Matteo.
以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。下次见……我是安娜·马特奥。
译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!