手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 在线广播 > VOA慢速英语 > VOA慢速-词汇掌故 > 正文

谁会带沙子去沙滩呢?

来源:可可英语 编辑:Magi   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.

欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。

On this program we talk about common expressions in the English language.

在这个节目中,我们谈论英语中的常见短语。

We give examples.

我们会举例子。

And we talk about when and how to use them.

我们还会讨论何时以及如何使用它们。

Today we talk about pointless, useless actions.

今天,我们谈论的是无意义、无用的行为。

And we have a very descriptive expression to help us do that.

我们有一个非常具有描述性的短语来帮助我们表达这个意思。

For this expression, let’s go to the beach!

为了这个短语,我们去沙滩吧!

For a beach trip, we bring several things that can make the trip more enjoyable.

为了沙滩之旅,我们带来了一些可以让旅行更愉快的东西。

For example, a beach towel makes sitting on the sand more comfortable.

例如,沙滩巾使得坐在沙滩上更舒服。

Some people choose to bring a beach chair.

有些人会选择带一把沙滩椅。

And a beach umbrella protects you from the sun’s powerful rays.

沙滩伞可以保护你免受强烈的阳光照射。

Swimming in the ocean can really make you hungry.

在海里游泳真的会让你感到饥饿。

So many people bring a cooler for food and drinks.

所以很多人都会带冷藏箱来装食物和饮料。

Making sandcastles on the beach is a fun activity.

在沙滩上堆沙堡是一项有趣的活动。

So, bringing sand-digging tools -- like a shovel -- and a bucket is a good idea.

所以,带上挖沙工具——比如铲子——和桶是个好主意。

But you do not need to bring the sand.

但你不需要带沙子。

Most beaches have a lot of that already!

大多数沙滩已经有很多沙子了!

And that brings us to today’s expression: “bringing sand to the beach.”

这就引出了我们今天的短语:“bringing sand to the beach。”

“Bringing sand to the beach” describes actions that are pointless and unnecessary.

“Bringing sand to the beach”指的是毫无意义和不必要的行为。

The actions are futile.

这些行为都是无用的。

This means serving no purpose.

意思是没有任何意义。

To bring sand to the beach can also mean overkill.

“To bring sand to the beach”也可以表示过分之举。

Overkill means to do or have more than is necessary or useful.

Overkill的意思是做的事情或拥有的东西超出了需求或用处不大。

Often when using this expression, we say "like."

通常在使用这个短语时,我们会说“like”。

For example, bringing flowers to the opening of a florist is like bringing sand to the beach.

例如,带着鲜花去参加花店开业典礼就像带沙子去沙滩一样。

Now, let’s hear this expression used between two friends.

现在,我们来听听两个朋友是如何使用这个短语的。

They talk about an upcoming party and what they are bringing.

他们在谈论即将到来的派对以及他们要带的东西。

Hey, Ingrid’s yearly party is tomorrow. What are you bringing?

嘿,英格丽德的年度派对就在明天。你要带什么?

I made a great music playlist. The songs I picked will definitely get people up and dancing. What about you?

我列了一个很棒的音乐播放列表。我选的歌肯定会让人们站起来跳舞。你呢?

I thought I’d bring my famous spinach dip.

我想我应该带上我最拿手的菠菜酱。

Um, your spinach dip? You know, I wouldn’t bring food.

嗯,你的菠菜酱?我不会带食物去的。

Ingrid always makes too much food. And she is such a good cook.

英格丽德总是做太多食物。而且她的厨艺也很棒。

Bringing food to her party is like bringing sand to the beach.

带食物去参加她的派对就像带沙子去沙滩一样。

Well, I know Ingrid makes lots of great food. But she doesn’t make my spinach dip. Every party needs spinach dip!

我知道英格丽德会做很多好吃的。但她不会做我做的菠菜酱。每个派对都需要菠菜酱!

I’ve tasted your spinach dip. No party needs that.

我尝过你做的菠菜酱。没有派对需要菠菜酱。

Ouch, that is so cold.

哎呀,太冷了。

Why don’t you bring some balloons? Everyone likes balloons.

你为什么不带些气球呢?每个人都喜欢气球。

We usually use “like bringing sand to the beach” when bringing something to a location is unnecessary.

我们通常用“like bringing sand to the beach”来表示把某物带到某个地方是不必要的。

But you can also say the same idea with different objects and locations.

但你也可以用不同的物体和地点来表达同样的意思。

For example, I could also say it is “like bringing a sandwich to a restaurant.”

例如,我也可以说“like bringing a sandwich to a restaurant”。

With this example, the meaning goes one step further.

在这个例子中,还有更深一层的含义。

It also means that what you are bringing the sandwich is of lesser quality than what you would find at the location the restaurant.

它也表示你带的三明治的质量比你在餐厅里找到的要差。

And that’s all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories. Until next time … I’m Anna Matteo.

以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。下次见…… 我是安娜·马特奥。

译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
pointless ['pɔintlis]

想一想再看

adj. 不尖的,钝的,不得要领的

联想记忆
futile ['fju:tail]

想一想再看

adj. 无效的,无用的

 
descriptive [di'skriptiv]

想一想再看

adj. 描述的,叙述的 [计算机] 描述性的

 
bucket ['bʌkit]

想一想再看

n. 水桶
vt. 装在桶里
vi.

 
quality ['kwɔliti]

想一想再看

n. 品质,特质,才能
adj. 高品质的

 
unnecessary [ʌn'nesisəri]

想一想再看

adj. 不必要的,多余的

 

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 察言观色 2022-08-10
  • 玩忽职守 2022-08-17
  • 徒有良好愿望而无行动 2022-08-24
  • "替罪羊"用英语怎么说? 2022-08-31
  • 他是一个"出身贫穷"的舞蹈老师 2022-09-08
  • 发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。