Do you think there's discrimination against women in England today?
你觉得现在英国存在对女性的歧视吗?
Certainly, and not just in education and work either, in many other fields as well.
当然有啊,而且对女性的歧视还不只是存在于教育和工作中,也存在于其他很多领域。
The tax situation for women is very unfair, for example.
比如税收格局就对女性很不公平。
Are women better off in other countries then?
那么女性在其他国家情况是不是更幸福一些呢?
It depends on the country.
要看是什么国家。
There's certainly much less discrimination in Scandinavia, and maybe in America, too.
在斯堪的纳维亚,对女性的歧视当然少一些,在美国情况可能也还好。
Do you think the position of English women will improve?
你觉得英国女性的境遇会有所改善吗?
In some ways, it will, of course.
某些方面肯定会变得更好的。
I'm sure more women will go out to work in the next 20 years.
能肯定的是,在接下来的20年里,会有越来越多的女性外出工作。
But women have a much greater problem than this to solve.
但是女性所面临的问题,不仅限于此。
What's that?
是什么问题呢?
The problem of men's attitudes.
是男性对待女性的态度。
We can earn more money in the future, but I'm not sure we can change men's attitudes.
我们女人以后可以挣更多的钱,但我们却不一定能改变男人看待我们的态度。
You see, most men really think that women are inferior.
要知道,大多数男人打心眼里觉得女人就是低人一等。
Maybe we are physically weaker, but I don't think this means we are inferior.
也许从体格上来说,女性的确弱一些,但这并不意味着我们就逊色于男人。
Then there's another problem.
而且还存在另外一个问题。
Yes?
什么问题?
The problem of women's attitudes.
是女性的态度。
Lots of women are unhappy with their present situation, but most of them probably don't want to fight for change.
很多女性对当前的处境并不满意,但是可能大多数女性并不想努力谋求改变。
It could be that the women's liberation movement has to spend more time changing women's attitudes than it spends in changing men's.
比起改变男性的态度,妇女解放运动可以需要花更多时间来改变女性自己的态度。
One last question, some supporters of the woman's liberation movement believed that marriages should be abolished. You agree?
还有最后一个问题,有一些妇女解放运动的拥护者觉得应该废除婚姻。你同意这种观点么?
No, I don't. It can't happen.
不,我并不同意。这根本不可能。
What may and should happen is that we teach men to spend more time looking after children and doing housework.
可能出现,也将会出现的情况是,我们女人引导男人多照看照看小孩,多做做家务。