6. awfully
非常地,相当地。在口语中用于表程度的比例十分高。
awfully nervous 相当紧张;awfully cold 相当冷;awfully sorry 十分抱歉
Tom looks awfully nervous. 汤姆看上去相当紧张。
I am awfully sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. 十分抱歉。我不想伤害你的。
7. be bound to
肯定,注定
The movie starts in 5 minutes and there’s bound to be a long line.
电影还有5分钟就开始了?现在那里肯定排着长队。
8. be tired of
厌烦。当一个人感到厌烦的时候,也是最容易lose one’s temper(生气)的时候。
I’m tired of movies about romantic stories. 我已经彻底厌烦了电影中的浪漫故事。
9. be worn out
a. 筋疲力尽,这个表达不太正式,多用于口语。
I’m usually worn out at the end of the day. 在一天快结束时我时常觉得很累。
b. 破旧不堪。
My soles were worn out after a long time trip.经过长时间的旅行,我的鞋底已经破旧不堪。
10. better
a. ’d better 最好是
I’d better read one of the articles for the class. 我最好还是为上课读篇文章准备一下。
I think you’d better find another partner. 我想你最好还是另找一个搭档吧。
b. make it better 让……更好
I’d rewrite the last two paragraphs to make it better. 我已经重写了最后两段以使它更好。
c. be better 更好些
I told you it would be better for you if you took fewer courses during the first semester.
我告诉过你如果你在第一个学期少选一些课程会比较好一些。
11. bill
a. 账单,买单。
I will pay the bill this time because last time you did it. 这次我来买单,因为上次是你。
b. 提案。
We all passed the bill on yesterday’s board meeting.
在昨天的董事会上我们全票通过该提案。
c. 纸币。
Here’s a 10-dollar bill. Give me two tickets for tonight’s show please.
这是一张10美元的纸币,请给我两张今晚演出的票,谢谢。
12. book
a. 书。本意,简单名词。
b. 预定,订购。 be booked up 被预定空了;booking office 售票处
All the morning flights have been booked up. 所有明早的飞机票都预定光了。
13. briefing
a. 简介。会议之前,总要有一个项目叫做Give a briefing.
Mrs. Lung’s briefing seems to go on forever.Lung女士的简报似乎没完没了。
b. news / press briefing 新闻发布会
14. change
a. 改变,更改。这是该词的基本意思,看两个例子回顾一下。
I’d love to see a different type of movie for a change. 我想换换口味,看场不同类型的电影。
I’ll have to get my ticket changed. 我必须得更改我的票。
b. 零钱。这是在口语中经常使用的意思。
Two tickets and here’s a dollar forty cents change. 这是两张票以及一美元四十美分的找零。
Jane, do you have some change? I have to make a call on the pay phone.
Jane,你有零钱吗?我想在公用电话亭打个电话。
15. check
a. 检查。基本意思。check our baggage 检查行李
Could you check for me who borrowed it? 你能帮我查查是谁借走了吗?
Did you check the power plug and press the play button?
你是否检查了电源插头并按了播放键了呢?
b. 登机台。check-in counter
Is this the check-in counter for Flight 914 to Los Angeles?
这是飞往洛杉矶的914号航班的登机台吗?
c. 询问。check on it 问问看
Maybe I should call to check on it. 也许我应该打个电话问问看。
d. 支票。
Sign the check. 签这张支票。