Recording One
录音一
Let's say you start to brainstorm a list of all the emotions you've ever experienced.
假设你开始集思广益地列出了你曾经遇到过的所有情绪。
Just for fun, try it now.
只是为了好玩,现在试试。
What's on your list? Chances are, you included things like happy, sad, excited, angry, afraid, grateful, proud, scared, confused, stressed, relaxed and amazed.
你的名单上有什么?有可能你包括了快乐,悲伤,兴奋,愤怒,害怕,感激,自豪,害怕,困惑,压力,放松和惊奇的事情。
Now sort your list into two categories--positive emotions and negative emotions.
现在把它们分成两类:积极情绪和消极情绪。
Feeling both positive and negative emotions is a natural part of being human.
感到积极和消极的情绪是人类自然的一部分。
We might use the word “negative” to describe more difficult emotions, but it doesn't mean those emotions are bad or we shouldn't have them.
我们可能会使用“负面”一词来描述更麻烦的情绪,但并不意味着这些情绪是坏的,或者我们不应该拥有这些情绪。
Still, most people would probably rather feel a positive emotion than a negative one.
然而,大多数人可能宁愿感受到一种积极的情绪,而不是一种消极的情绪。
It's likely you'd prefer to feel happy instead of sad, or confident instead of insecure.
你可能会喜欢开心而不是伤心,更喜欢自信而不是不安。
What matters is how our emotions are balanced--how much of each type of emotion, positive or negative, we experience.
重要的是我们的情绪如何平衡 - 各种情绪我们经历了多少,积极的还是消极的。
Negative emotions warn us of threats or challenges that we may need to deal with.
消极的情绪警告我们可能有需要处理的威胁或挑战。
For example, fear can alert us to possible danger.
例如,恐惧可以提醒我们可能存在的危险。
It's a signal that we might need to protect ourselves.
这是我们可能需要保护自己的信号。
Angry feelings warn us that someone is stepping on our toes, crossing a boundary, or violating our trust.
愤怒的感觉警告我们有人正在踩我们的脚趾,超出了界限,或违背了我们的信任。
Anger can be a signal that we might need to act on our own behalf.
愤怒可能是我们可能需要以我们自己的身份行事的信号。
Negative emotions focus our awareness.
消极的情绪集中了我们的意识。
They help us to zero in on a problem so we can deal with it.
它们帮助我们瞄准问题,以便我们处理。
But too many negative emotions can make us feel overwhelmed, anxious, exhausted or stressed out.
但是太多的消极情绪可能会使我们感到不知所措,焦虑,疲惫或紧张。
When negative emotions are out of balance, problems might seem too big to handle.
当负面情绪失衡时,问题可能会太大而难以处理。
The more we dwell on negative emotions, the more negative we begin to feel.
我们对消极情绪的了解越多,我们越开始感到消极。
Focusing on negativity just keeps it going.
专注于消极性只会继续这样下去。
Positive emotions balance out negative ones, but they have other powerful benefits, too.
积极的情绪平衡消极的情绪,但也有其他强效的好处。
Instead of narrowing our focus like negative emotions do, positive emotions affect our brains in ways that increase our awareness, attention and memory.
而不是像我们的消极情绪那样缩小我们的焦点,积极的情绪会影响我们的大脑,增强我们的意识,注意力和记忆力。
They help us take in more information, hold several ideas in mind at once, and understand how different ideas relate to each other.
他们帮助我们收集更多的信息,立即想出几个想法,并了解不同的想法如何相互关联。
When positive emotions open us up to new possibilities, we are more able to learn and build on our skills.
积极的情绪让我们有新的可能性,更能学习和建立我们的技能。
That leads to doing better on tasks and tests.
这导致我们在任务和测试方面取得更好的结果。
People who have plenty of positive emotions in their everyday lives tend to be happier, healthier, learn better, and get along well with others.
在日常生活中充满积极情绪的人往往会更快乐,更健康,更好地学习,并与别人相处融洽。
Questions 16 to 18 are based on the recording you have just heard.
问题16到18基于你刚刚听到的录音。
Question 16. What does the speaker say about negative emotions?
问题16. 演讲者说了关于消极情绪的什么?
Question 17. What happens to people whose negative emotions are out of balance?
问题17. 消极情绪失衡的人会怎么样?
Question 18. How do positive emotions affect us?
问题18. 积极情绪是怎么影响我们的?