Recording Two
录音二
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen!
女士们,先生们,早上好!
And welcome to the third in our series of business seminars in the program-Doing Business Abroad.
欢迎来到海外业务第三系列商业研讨会。
Today we are going to look at intercultural awareness, that is, the fact that not everyone is British, not everyone speaks English,
今天我们来谈谈跨文化意识,也就是说,不是每个人都来自英国,不是每个人都说英语,
and not everyone does business in the British way. And why should they?
并不是每个人都采用英国人做生意的方式。他们为什么这样做呢?
If overseas business people are selling to us, then they will make every effort to speak English and to respect our-traditions and methods.
如果外国商人来英国做生意,他们会尽力说英语且尊重英国的传统及做事方式,
It is only polite for us to do the same when we visit them. It is not only polite.
如果英国人想要去其他国家做生意,出于礼貌也应该尊重对方的传统。
It is essential if we want to sell British products overseas.
如果我们想把英国产品销往海外,这是至关重要的。
First, a short quiz. Let's see how interculturally aware you are.
首先是一个小测验,让我们看看你的跨文化意识有多强。
Question 1: Where must you not drink alcohol on the first and seventh of every month?
问题1:每个月的第一个月和第七个月你不能在哪里喝酒?
Question 2: Where should you never admire your host's possessions?
问题2:哪个地方不应该欣赏主人的东西?
Question 3: How should you attract the waiter during a business lunch in Bangkok?
问题3:曼谷有一次商务午餐,你应该如何吸引服务员?
And Question 4: Where should you try to make all your appointments either before 2:00 or after 5:30 p.m.?
问题4:下午2点之前或者下午5点半之后你应该在哪里安排所有的约会?
OK. Everyone had a chance to make some notes? Right.
每个人都有机会做笔记吗?
Here are the answers-although I am sure that the information could equally well apply to countries other than those I have chosen.
以下是答案——我相信这些资料除了适用于我选的这些国家,同样适用于各国,
So No.1, you must not drink alcohol on the first and seventh of the month in India.
第1题,在印度,每个月的第一天和第七天你都不能喝酒。
In international hotels you may find it served,
你会发现国际饭店供应酒水,
but if you are having a meal with an Indian colleague, remember to avoid asking for a beer if your arrival coincides with one of those dates.
但如果你是在这两个日子里和印度同事一起吃饭,记得不要点啤酒。
2. In Arab countries, the politeness and generosity of the people is without parallel.
第2题,阿拉伯国家的人们是无比礼貌和慷慨的。
If you admire your colleague's beautiful golden bowls, you may well find yourself being presented with them as a present.
如果你很欣赏同事漂亮的金碗,他们很有可能会把东西送给你。
This is not a cheap way to do your shopping,however,
这不是一种便宜的购物方式,
as your host will, quite correctly, expect you to respond by presenting him with a gift of equal worth and beauty.
你的主人也会期待你送一份同样美丽有价值的礼物作为回赠。
In Thailand, clicking the fingers, clapping your hands, or just shouting "Waiter!"
在泰国,敲手指、拍手、或者大喊“服务员!”
will embarrass your hosts, fellow diners, the waiter himself and, most of all, you!
会让东道主、其他客人、服务员、最主要是让你难堪!”
Place your palm downward and make an inconspicuous waving gesture, which will produce instant and satisfying results.
掌心向下,做一个不显眼的手势,会产生即时的满意效果。
And finally, in Spain, some businesses maintain the pattern of working until about 2 o'clock and then returning to the office from 5:30 to 8:00, 9:00 or 10:00 in the evening.
最后,在西班牙,一些企业通常会在下午两点下班,然后到晚上五点半再上班,上到晚上八点、九点或者十点。
Questions 19 to 21 are based on the recording you have just heard.
根据你刚才听到的录音回答19-21题。
19. What should you do when doing business with foreigners?
问题19:和外国人做生意你应该做什么?
20. What must you avoid doing with your Indian colleague?
问题20:和你的印度同事共事你必须避免做什么?
21. What do we learn about some Spanish business people?
问题21:关于西班牙商人,我们了解到了什么?