Everyone knows him as old Arthur.
每个人都叫他老亚瑟。
He lives in a little house in the middle of a small wood about a mile from the village.
他住在离村子有一公里远的一个森林小屋里。
He visits the village store twice a week to buy some food.
他每周去镇上的商店两次,买些食物。
And sometimes he collects letters and his money from the post office.
有时他去邮局收信取钱。
A few weeks ago, a reporter from the local newspaper interviewed him.
几周前,一个来自当地报社的记者采访他。
This is what he said, "I get up every morning with the birds."
他这样说道,“我每天早上和鸟儿相伴起床。
There is a river near my house, and I fetch water from there.
我家附近有一条小溪,我从那儿汲水。
It's good, clear, fresh water, better than you get in the city.
溪水是如此的清澈透亮,比你们在城市里喝的水品质要好得多。
Sometimes in the winter, I have to break the ice.
冬天是,我不得不破冰取水。
I cook simple food in the kitchen.
在厨房里,我烹制简餐。
I go to the bar and have a drink once a month.
每个月,我回去一次酒吧喝点小酒。
But I don't see many people. I don't feel lonely.
我没有很多访客。我并不觉得孤独。
I know this wood very well, you see.
你看,我对这片森林了如指掌。
I know all the little birds and animals that live here, and they know me.
我认识这片森林所有小鸟和动物,他们对我也十分了解。
I don't have much money but I don't need much.
我没有什么钱,我也不需要什么钱。
I think I'm a lucky man.
我想我是一个幸运的人。”