Two geniuses
两位天才
Many people consider Albert Einstein (1879-1955) a genius. This story about him shows that he also had a sense of humour.
许多人认为阿尔伯特.爱因斯坦(1879-1955)是位天才,这个关于他的故事表明,他还很有幽默。
Einstein often received invitations to explain his theories at different universities.
爱因斯坦经常收到邀请在不同的大学阐述他的理论。
On these trips, his driver Hans often said to him. “It is a pleasure to drive a genius like you, Dr Einstein.”
在这些旅行途中。他的司机汉斯经常对他说:“爱因斯坦博士,给像您这样的天才开车真是件令人愉快的事。”
One evening, on their way to drive a university, Einstein said, “I'm so tired.
一天晚上,在他们去一所大学的路上,爱因斯坦说:“我很累。汉斯,
- I wish I could avoid giving my lecture tonight, Hans, but I don't want to let my audience down.”
- 我多么希望今晚不做演讲啊,但我又不想令我的听众失望。”
“I know that to do,” said Hans.
“我有办法。”汉斯说。
“I can give the lecture for you. You can trust me. I've listened to your lecture so many times that I've learnt it by heart.
“我可以替你去演讲。你可以相信我,我听过你这么多次的演讲,我早已熟记于心了。
- No one knows you at this university, so they won't find out.”
- 在这所大学没有人认识你,所以他们不会发现的。”
So, they changed places. At the university, Hans was guided to the front of the hall.
于是,他们调换了身份。在大学里,汉斯被领到了大厅的前面。
Einstein took a seat, listened to Hans give his lecture without difficulty, and joined in the applause at the end.
爱因斯坦坐下,听汉斯轻松地演讲,最后他也鼓掌喝彩。
However, before Hans left, a man shouted, “I'd like to ask you a question.”
然而,在汉斯离开前,一位男子大声喊道:“我想问你一个问题。”
He then asked a question so difficult that Hans had no idea what he was talking about.
他接下来问了一个非常难的问题。以至于汉斯完全不知道他在说什么。
Einstein turned pale. “Oh no!” he thought. “Now we're in trouble.”
爱因斯坦脸色变白了,“哦,糟糕!”他想,“现在我们麻烦了。”
But Hans just laughed and said, “That's such an easy question that even my driver can answer it. Hans, please…”
但汉斯只是笑着说:“这是如此简单的一个问题,甚至我的司机也能回答,汉斯请你来回答他……”
Einstein stood up and answered the question perfectly.
爱因斯坦站起来,完美地回答了那个问题。
They left the university, with Einstein driving. A little later, Hans offered to drive.
爱因斯坦开着车,他们离开了那所学校。过了不一会儿,汉斯提出换他来开车。
“No,” laughed Einstein. “It's a pleasure to drive a genius like you Hans.”
“不,”爱因斯坦笑道,“汉斯,给像你这样的天才开车是一件令人愉快的事情。”