Lesson 29: DNA - The Story of You
第29课 DNA--你的故事
When you build a house, you use a blueprint. What's a blueprint?
当建造一幢房子时,你需要使用蓝图。蓝图是什么?
In general, a blueprint is a drawing that shows how to put a house together with many different parts.
通常来说,蓝图就是用来展示如何将许多不同部分组建成一幢房子的图纸。
DNA is the blueprint of life.
DNA就是生物体的蓝图。
But building a living thing is far more complex than building a house.
但是,组建一个生物体远比建造一幢房子要复杂得多。
It takes millions of years for nature to change the DNA in living things to make them fit the world they live in.
自然界需要花费百万年来改变生物体的DNA,使其适应所生活的世界。
How tall are you? What colour are your eyes? What size are your feet?
你多高?你的眼睛是什么颜色的?你的双脚多大?
All these things are strongly influenced by your DNA before you are born!
这些在你出生之前,就深受你的DNA的影响。
DNA is fantastic!
DNA是不可思议的!
Except for some twins, every living thing has its own unique DNA.
除了某些双胞胎,每一个生命体都有自己独特的DNA。
Some health problems can be caused by problems in your DNA.
你的DNA能导致一些健康问题。
Scientists can look for these problems and, sometimes, help you before you become sick.
科学家能够找到这些问题,并且,有时候能在你发病前帮助你。
In the future, scientists might be able to change your DNA.
将来,科学家们有可能改变你的DNA。
There are copies of your DNA in every part of your body.
身体的每个部分都是DNA的复制体,
For example, your finger has the same DNA as your hair.
比方说,你的手指和你的头发有着相同的DNA。
You have your own unique DNA, but it repeats patterns from your parents' DNA.
你有着独特的DNA,但它是从你父母的DNA复制而来的。
From your DNA, scientists can identify not only you, but also people who are related to you.
依据你的DNA,科学家能识别出你本人,还有与你相关的人。
Your parents and grandparents are related to you, and you have their DNA.
你父母及与你有(血缘)关系的爷爷奶奶,你拥有着他们的DNA。
When you have a grandson or granddaughter, he or she will have your DNA.
当你有了孙子或孙女时,他或她也将有你的DNA。
Your DNA has billions of instructions that explain why you are the way you are.
你的DNA有着数十亿的指令,解释着你为什么呈现出当前你(的模样)。
It's one of the most amazing things on the earth!
这是地球上最神奇的事情之一。