If We Must Die
若我们必须牺牲
If we must die, let it not be like hogs
若我们必须牺牲,不要像猪一般死去
Hunted and penned in an inglorious spot,
被囚禁在一个不体面的处所,
While round us bark the mad and hungry dogs
疯狂而饥饿的狗在我们周围吠叫
Making their mock at our accursed lot;
嘲笑我们不幸的命运;
If we must die, O let us nobly die,
若我们必须牺牲,啊 让我体面的死去
So that our precious blood may not be shed
这样我们高贵的血不会白流
In vain; then even the monsters we defy
那时,就算是我们所蔑视的妖魔们,
Shall be constrained to honour us though dead.
也会在我们死后不得不表示尊敬。
O kinsmen! We must meet the common foe!
啊 同胞们!我们有着共同的敌人!
Though far outnumbered let us show us brave,
尽管敌人数目众多,让我们鼓起勇气来,
And for their thousand blows deal one death blow!
把对他们的万千控诉汇成致命一击!
What though before us lies the open grave?
就算在我们面前敞开坟墓又如何?
Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack.
像真的猛士一般直面惨淡的人生
pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
被逼到墙角等死不如奋起一搏!
Claude McKay
克劳德 麦凯
作者是黑人进步诗人,1889-1948。他致力于唤起黑人人权运动。
这首诗是十四行体(sonnet),每行十个音节。头上十二行分成三组,每四行为一组,一三与二四个横分别押韵;最末两行自成一联。