We flushed a covey of quail under a high clay bank with overhanging brush and I killed two as they went out of sight over the top of the bank. Some of the covey lit in trees, but most of them scattered into brush piles and it was necessary to jump on the ice-coated mounds of brush several times before they would flush. Coming out while you were poised unsteadily on the icy, springy brush they made difficult shooting and I killed two, missed five, and started back pleased to have found a covey close to the house and happy there were so many left to find on another day.
高高的土堤上长着倒垂下来的灌木丛,我们从那下面撵起了一群鹌鹑。当它们快要从堤岸上消失时,我击落了两只。有几只鹌鹑停落在树上,但大部分飞散了,钻进了灌木丛。你得在这些被冰裹着的树丛上跳上好几下,才能把它们惊起。当你在这些既滑又有弹性的树丛上摇摇晃晃尚未立稳之际,它们却飞了出来,使你很难射中。我击落了两只,却让它们逃掉了五只。动身返回时,我感到很高兴,因为我在离家不远的地方发现了一群鹌鹑,而且还剩下许多,改日可再去搜寻猎取。
At the house they said the boy had refused to let anyone come into the room.
回到屋里,他们说孩子不让任何人进入他的房间。
“You can't come in, he said. “You mustn't get what I have.”
“你们不能进来,”他说。“你们千万不要传染上我的病。”
I went up to him and found him in exactly the position I had left him, white-faced, but with the tops of his cheeks flushed by the fever, staring still, as he had stared, at the foot of the bed.
我来到他身边,发现他仍像我离开时那样躺着。他面色苍白,但两颊上部烧得发红,眼睛依旧一动不动地盯着床的另一端。
I took his temperature.
我量了他的体温。
“What is it?”
“多少?”
“Something like a hundred,” I said. It was one hundred and two and four tenths.
“大约100,”我说。实际上是102度4分。
“It was a hundred and two,” he said.
“原先是102度,”他说。
“Who said so?”
“谁说的?”
“The doctor.”
“医生。”
“Your temperature is all right,” I said. “It's nothing to worry about.”
“你的体温没啥问题,”我说,“用不着担心。”
“I don't worry,” he said, “but I can't keep from thinking.”
“我不担心,”他说,“但是我不能不想。”
“Don't think,” I said. “Just take it easy.”
“不要想,”我说。“放心好了。”
“I'm taking it easy,” he said and looked straight ahead. He was evidently holding tight onto himself about something.
“我没有什么不放心的,”他说着,眼睛直盯着前方。显然,他有什么心事,但在尽力控制着自己。
“Take this with water.”
“将这个用水吞下。”
“Do you think it will do any good?”
“你看这有用吗?”
“Of course it will.”
“当然有用。”