I walked and walked. Around one-thirty, I entered the North Woods, and made my way down to what my map would later tell me was a stream called the Loch.
我在不停地走着,走着。大约1点半时,我进入了北部的树林,一路走下去,来到我后来从地图上得知叫做洛赫的一条溪流。
The stream was loud, sounding more like a river than a stream.
这条溪流水声很大,听起来更像一条大河。
And for the first time that night the city disappeared: no buildings, no lights, no sirens.
这天夜里城市第一次从视野里消失了;没有建筑物,没有照明,也没有警报声。
I was tired. I had been walking for a long time.
我不停地走了这么久,实在太疲劳了。
I wanted to unroll my sleeping bag, out of view of the police, and fall asleep.
想打开睡袋,在警察的视线之外睡上一觉。
I was looking forward to dawn and being awakened by birds.
我在期待黎明,盼望着被小鸟叫醒。
I made my way down a ravine. A dirt trail appeared on my left. This looked promising.
我顺着一个深谷往下走。在我的左侧出现了一条土路。这地方看起来不错。
I followed it, and it wound its way down to the stream.
我顺着这条土路走下去,它蜿蜒而下通到溪边。
I looked back: I couldn't see the trail; it was blocked by trees.
我回头一看,已无法看到这条路,因为它已被树木遮盖了。
This was good. Secluded. I walked on. It flattened out and I could put a sleeping bag here.
这个地方好极了。又僻静。我又往前走,小道平缓了,我可以在这里铺上睡袋了。
This was good, too. Yes: good. There were fireflies, even at this hour,
这个地方也不错,是挺好的甚至在这个时辰还有萤火虫,
and the place was so dark and so densely shrouded by the trees overhead that the light of the fireflies was hugely magnified;
这个地方太黑了,头上又被茂密的树木掩蔽起来,使得萤火虫的亮度大大加强了,
their abdomens pulsed like great yellow flashlights.
它们的腹部有节奏地跳动着,发出的黄光活像手电筒中的光。