The war and its aftermath changed me.
战争及其后遗症改变了我,
It gave me a respect and affection for the so-called common man that I have never lost.
使我对所谓的普通人产生了一种尊敬,多了一份感情,这种尊敬与感情我从未失去过,
As if any life were common!
因为没有一个人的生命是普通的!
The men I knew in the 101st, most of them, had no education beyond high school.
我在101空降师认识的多数军人只上过中学,
And they weren't stunning physical specimens either, though they could carry a pack, trench tool, rifle or carbine, machine gun, tripod or ammunition boxes, for miles at a good pace.
他们也不是特别强壮的人物,但能背起行装、挖战壕的工具、步枪或卡宾枪、机枪、三脚架或弹药箱,以相当快的速度行军数英里。
So the war gave me poetry.
就这样,战争为我带来诗歌,
I had a driving need to write...
使我产生强烈的写作欲望……
a few lines for a poem, a paragraph of prose...anything!
几行诗,一段散文……任何东西!
Even at the university there were very few who felt about things as I did.
即使在大学里,也很少有人与我有相同的感受。
What did that matter?
这又有什么关系呢?
What if the only thing I could do was held in contempt by others, or met with indifference?
假如我唯一能做的事情受到轻视或冷遇.那又有什么?
Most people cared nothing about the kind of writing that mattered to me more than anything else.
写作对我来说比其他任何事情都要重要,
They were deaf to the music.
可大多数人对此却不屑一顾,对美妙的文字置若罔闻。
So what!
这又算得了什么!
I was alive and doing what I liked.
我还活着,而且在做我喜欢做的事情。