A big dog celebrates a big birthday this year.
一只大狗在今年欢庆隆重的生日。
Clifford the Big Red Dog first appeared 50 years ago, along with Emily Elizabeth, the little girl who loves him.
这只叫克利福德的大红狗和爱他的小女孩艾米丽·伊丽莎白,第一次出现在50年前。
Today we have Norman Brid Well, to talk with NPR's reporter of his dog's 50th birthday.
今天由诺曼·布里德·威尔,和美国国家公共广播电台的记者谈论他那只大狗的50岁生日。
So, Norman tell us how it all started.
诺曼,告诉我们一下这一切是怎么开始的。
Well, it was 1962 and I was struggling, not very successful artist in New York.
嗯,那是在1962年,我当时是一个在纽约努力奋斗,但不很成功的艺术家。
My wife suggested that I try my hand in painting for children's books.
妻子建议我试着画儿童读物。
So I did ten paintings and took them to publishers.
所以我画了十幅画,带到了出版社。
I was turned down everywhere, except one publisher, where a young woman told me I wasn't very good.
我在各个出版商处都遭拒,只有一家没有这样做,那儿的一位年轻女士告诉我,我画得不太好。
So if I wanted to paint for a book, I needed to write one on my own.
如果我想为一本书画插画,我需要自己写一本。
So you did?
于是你就这么做了?
Umm, the woman pointed to a painting I'd done, about a little girl with a big red dog.
嗯,那位女士指着我画的一幅画,那副画是一个小女孩和一只大红狗。
And she said "maybe that's the story".
她说“也许就是这个故事”。
And I went home.
然后,我回家了。
And over that weekend, I wrote the story Clifford the Big Red Dog,
在那个周末,我写了一个《大红狗克利福德》的故事,
and was shocked when it was accepted for publication because I'd never written anything before.
当出版社同意出版它时,我感到震惊,因为我以前从未写过任何东西。
I see. How wonderful!
我明白了,多棒啊!
Yes, it was. My wife was also at shock when she did realize it wasn't a dream. But it was just luck.
是的,是很棒。我妻子意识到这不是梦时,她也很震惊,但那只是好运气。
And that luck turned into 90 Clifford books that have sold 126 million copies in 13 languages.
这份好运气转变为克利福德的90本图画书,它已经被翻译成13种语言,售出1.26亿册。