I've been reading your personal statement,Paul.
保罗,我最近在读你的一份个人陈述。
First,let's talk about your work experience in South America.
首先,让我们谈谈你在南美洲的工作经历。
What took you there?Was it to gain more fluency in Spanish?
你为什么想去那儿?是为了讲好西班牙语吗?
Well,as I'm combining Spanish with Latin American studies, my main idea was to find out more about the way people lived there.
我在做拉丁美洲的西班牙语研究的时候,我主要是想了解更多当地人的生活。
My spoken Spanish was already pretty good in fact.
其实我的西班牙语已经说得够好了。
So you weren't too worried about language barriers?
所以你不用担心语言障碍?
No.In fact,I ended up teaching English there,although that wasn't my original choice of work.
不用。其实我最后是在当地教英文,虽然那并不是我一开始选择的工作。
I see.How did you find out about all this?
我明白了。你是怎么发现这件事的?
I found an agency that runs all kinds of voluntary projects in South America.
我找到一家在南美地区做各种志愿活动的机构。
What kind of work? Well,there were several possibilities.
都有什么样的工作?有很多可能性。
You mean construction?Engineering work?
你是指建筑?工程工作?
Yes,getting involved in building projects was an option.
是的,参与大楼建设是一个选择。
Then there was tourism - taking tourists for walks around the volcanoes - which I actually chose to do,and then there was work with local farmers.
再者就是做导游,带着游客们在火山周边游览,这个其实我曾经做过,而后是和当地农民一起工作。
But you didn't continue with that project.Why not?
但是你没有继续把这个项目做下去,为什么?
Because I never really knew whether I'd be needed or not.
因为我从来不知道我是否真的有必要留在那儿。
I'd thought it might be difficult physically,but I was certainly fit enough.
我本以为做这个会身体吃不消,但是我完全能胜任。
No,I wanted to do something that had more of a proper structure to it. I suppose.I get de-motivated otherwise.
不过我想做更有组织的事情,否则我将失去动力。