I was confused with my first assignment, and didn't hand it in on time.
我对进入大学的第一次作业并不是很会,而且没能按时上交给老师。
I bombed the test that same week. I started to study harder so I wouldn't fall behind.
就在同一个星期我考试也没及格。所以为了不落后,我开始更努力地学习。
Eventually, I met with an advisor, who really helped me. By my junior year, I was doing well.
后来,我遇见了一位指导员,他帮了我很多。到大三的时候,我的表现就很好了。
Okay, so take a moment. I'll read it one more time so you can check your answers.
好了,我会再读一遍,所以你们抓紧时间检查一下答案。
You can put a check if you hear any of these words.
如果你听到了这其中任何一个单词,都请打个勾。
I went to the University of Toronto. I remember when I was an undergrad, I found school very difficult, especially in my freshman year.
我是在多伦多大学上的学。我还记得我读大学的时候,觉得在学校的一切都很困难,尤其是大一那年。
I guess the main problem was it was my first time away from home.
我猜主要原因就是那是我第一次离开家。
School had always come naturally to me before. I wasn't used to cramming and pulling all-nighters.
以前,学业对我来说总是很自然的一件事。我过去并不习惯死记硬背和开夜车,
I naturally had been a straight-A student.
但我自然而然就成了一个优秀学生。
Now I had to work hard so I wouldn't flunk.
可是现在我必须努力学习才能不挂科。
The problem was I was terrified of my prof and TAs.
问题是,我当时很怕我的教授和助教们。
I was confused with my first assignment, and didn't hand it in on time.
我对进入大学的第一次作业并不是很会,而且没能按时上交给老师。
I bombed the test that same week. I started to study harder so I wouldn't fall behind.
就在同一个星期我考试也没及格。所以为了不落后,我开始更努力地学习。
Eventually, I met with an advisor who really helped me. By my junior year, I was doing well.
后来,我遇见了一位指导员,他帮了我很多。到大三的时候,我的表现就很好了。
Okay, so let's see which of these words we heard.
好的,那现在我们来看看都听到了哪些单词。
We heard the word "advisor", yep. "Flunk", yep. "Fall behind".
我们听到了“指导员”,没错;“挂科”,对的;还有“落后”。
Did we hear the word "marks"? Let's see. Nope. "Grades", nope.
我们有听到”分数”这个单词吗?看看哈,嗯......没有。“成绩”呢?也没有。
"Freshman", yes. "Sophomore", no. "Junior", yes. "Prof". "Pull an all-nighter", "cram", "TA".
“大一”?有;“大二”?没有;“大三”?有的;“教授”、“开夜车”、“死记硬背”、“助教”,这些都有。
"Ace the test", no. "Dean", no. "Instructor", nope. "Registrar", nope. "Drop a course", nope.
“考高分”?没有;“系主任”?没有;“讲师”?没有;“登记员”?没有;“退课”?也没有。
"Hit the books", nope. "Undergrad", yes. "Grad student", no. And "hand in", yes.
“用功学习”?没有;“大学”?有;“大学生”?没有;“上交”?有的。