Message by UN Secretary-General António Guterres on International Day of Commemoration in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust
联合国秘书长安东尼奥·古特雷斯缅怀大屠杀受难者国际纪念日致辞
27 January 2023
2023年1月27日
Today, we honor the memory of the victims of the Holocaust.
今天,我们缅怀大屠杀受害者。
We remember the six million Jewish children, women, and men, as well as the Roma and Sinti, the people with disabilities, and countless others who perished.
我们悼念600万犹太儿童、妇女和男子、罗姆人和辛提人、残疾人和无数其他死难者。
We reflect on the millions of individual lives cut short; the millions of futures stolen away.
我们反思数以百万计的生命被扼杀;数以几百万计的未来被吞噬。
As we mourn the loss of so many and so much, we also recognize that the Holocaust was not inevitable. No genocide ever is.
我们为如此多的死亡和损失而哀痛,也认识到大屠杀并非不可避免。没有哪次灭绝种族事件必然发生。
It was the culmination of millennia of antisemitic hate.
大屠杀是数千年来反犹太仇恨的顶点。
The Nazis could only move with calculated cruelty from the discrimination of Europe's Jews to their annihilation because so few stood up, and so many stood by.
纳粹之所以能使用精心设计的残酷手段,从歧视欧洲犹太人走向杀戮欧洲犹太人,是因为挺身而出者太少,袖手旁观者太多。
It was the deafening silence – both at home and abroad – that emboldened them.
让纳粹横行的,是国内国外的一片缄默。
The alarm bells were ringing from the very beginning.
警钟从一开始就响个不停。
Hate speech and disinformation.
仇恨言论与虚假信息满天飞。
Contempt for human rights and the rule of law.
人权与法治遭蔑视。
The glorification of violence and tales of racial supremacy.
暴力和种族优越论被美化。
Disdain for democracy and diversity.
民主和多样性受鄙弃。
In remembering the Holocaust, we recognize threats to freedom, dignity, and humanity – including in our own time.
铭记大屠杀,我们就会认清自由、尊严、人性受到的威胁,包括在当今时代,自由、尊严、人性受到的威胁。
Today – in the face of growing economic discontent and political instability, escalating white supremacist terrorism, and surging hate and religious bigotry – we must be more outspoken than ever.
今天,经济不满情绪和政治不稳定因素日益累积、白人至上恐怖主义不断升级、仇恨和宗教偏执行为急剧增加,面对这种情况,我们必须比以往任何时候都要更加勇于发声。
We must never forget – nor allow others to ever forget, distort or deny the Holocaust.
我们决不能忘记大屠杀,也决不能容许其他人忘记、歪曲或否认大屠杀。
Today and every day, let us resolve to never again remain silent in the face of evil – and to always defend the dignity and rights of all.
今天,以及每一天,我们都要坚定决心,永远不再对邪恶保持沉默,永远捍卫所有人的尊严和权利。
Thank you.
谢谢!