网络社交英语口语 Unit46:我不知道我们俩适不适合
SCENE① A 柔丝家
Rose: Sue. I never said I didn't like Herbert...It's just that...
柔丝: 苏,我从没说我不喜欢赫伯特……只是……
Sue: See! I knew it! You were moved by his e-mail music.
苏: 看吧!我就知道!你被他的电子邮件音乐感动了。
Rose: I don't know if we're 1) compatible or not.
柔丝: 我不知道我们俩适不适合。
Sue: Let music bring the two of you together.
苏: 就让音乐把你们俩拉在一起。
Rose: We've already seen that that doesn't work.
柔丝: 我们已经发现那是行不通的。
Sue: Well, maybe you should act like 2) normal people.
苏: 嗯,也许你应该采取一般人的做法。
语言详解
A: Why did you break up with Don?
你跟唐怎么分手的?
B: We weren't compatible.
我们合不来。
【That doesn't work. 这是行不通的】
当别人给你建议,但你知道那依然无法扭转情势的时候,你就可以说这句话。
A: The baby won't fall asleep!
宝宝就是不肯睡觉!
B: Try singing to him. If that doesn't work, read him a story.
试试唱歌给他听,要是没有用的话,就说故事给他听。
另外这句话也可以用在机械或电器等用品故障的时候。
A: Let's watch TV!
我们来看电视!
B: Sorry. That TV doesn't work. You誰l have to watch the one in the living room.
抱歉。那台电视坏掉了。你得去看客厅那台。
1) compatible (a.) 相容的
2) normal (a.) 正常的