15 Compromise
妥协
...get on the bandwagon.
随大溜。(较随便)
A:What're you supposed to do now?
你现在该怎么办呢?
B:The only thing for me to do is to get on the bandwagon.
我只能随大溜。
A:It can be taken as a way.
这倒是个办法。
...swim with the tide.
随大溜。(较随便)
A:What did he do with the boss's decision?
他对老板的决定采取了什么态度?
B:He wouldn't disagree;he's learned to swim with the tide.
他不反对,他已学会了随大溜.
A:Everybody has to do hat in this society.
在这个社会里,每个人都得那么做.
You'd better water down yur demand .
你最好降低一下要求.(较随便)
A:You'd better water down your demand. B:Why?
你最好降低一下要求.为什么呢?
A:Or the boss will turn then down at once.
因为如不这样,老板会立即把他们驳回.
Let's meet each other half way.
咱们各让一半.(通用)
A:Don't argue any more.Let's meet each other half way,OK?
别争了,咱们各让一半吧,好不好?
B:All right .It's good for you to say so.
好的,你能这么说太好了.
Only in this way can we close the deal.
只有这样才能成交.
...make the best out of a hard bargain.
......尽力而为.(通用)
A:Things are becoming so difficult.
事情越来越困难了。
B:So I hope everyone of us will make the best out of a hard bargain.
因此我希望大家都能尽力而为。
A:Yes,indeed.
对,确实是这样。
I don't mind one way or the other.
我无所谓,怎么都行.(通用)
A:Do you want the eggs overcooked or underdone?
你的煎鸡蛋要老一点还是嫩一点?
B:I don't mind one way or the other. A:I know.
我无所谓,怎么都行.我知道了。
...figure out a way to ...
......想个办法。......(通用)
A:We must figure out a way to settle the dispute.
我们想个办法解决这个争端。
B:Yes,a way has to be found. A:But it's not easy.
对,必须想个办法.但并不容易.
...give in on both sides.
......相互让步.(通用)
A:How on earth will they end the strike?
到底怎样才能结束罢工呢?
B:They'll have to give in on both sides,I think.
我认为双方必须相互让步。
A:But neither of them wants to do so.
但他们谁也不肯这样。
B:Then the strike will last for ever.
那么这场罢工会永远持续下去的。
...play along with one's ideas for the time being.
暂时参与......的计划.(通用)
A:Are you in favor of his plan?
你们赞成他的计划吗?
Not really.But we've finally decided to play along with his ideas for the time being
并不赞成,我最终决定暂时参与他的计划。
A:What do you mean by that?
你那样说是什么意思?
B:We agreed with him temporarily.
我们只是暂时同意他的意见。
There's no room for compromise.
没有妥协的余地。(通用)
A:I think we'd better reach a compromise.
我认为我们最好相互让步。
B:Unfortunately,I don't think there's room for compromise in this matter.
但遗憾的是,我认为在这件事上没有妥协的余地。
A:It seems we'll never reach any agreement.
看来我们永远也不会达成协议了。
When in Rome,do as the Romans do.
入乡随俗.(通用)
A:We shouldn't dress very formally in the country.
我们在乡下不应该空得太正式。
B:Yeah,we should be casual when we stay with country people.
是啊,和乡下人在一起我们随便一些。
A:When in Rome,do as the Romans do.
入乡随俗嘛。
...work out a compromise.
制定妥协方案。(通用)
A:Did you finally work out a compromise? B:No,we couldn't.
你们最后制定出妥协方案了吗?没有。
A:Why? B:They wouln't give in neither would we.
为什么?他们不让步,我们也不愿让步。
...need a give-and-take attitude.
......需采取互谅互让的态度。
A:I find it hard to get on with my colleagues.
我发现和同事相处很难。
B:You need a give-and-take attitude to get along in this firm.
要想在这个公司和同事处好,你需采取谅互让的态度.
A:Thank you for your advice.
谢谢你的忠告。
...make mutual concessions.
......双方让步。(较正式)
A:If we want to reach an agreement,we should make mutual concessions.
如果我们想达成协议的话,必须双方让步。
You said it.As long as we do it,we'll achieve an agreement.A:That's right.
你说到点子上了,只要我们能这样做,会达成协议的.是这样的.
...settle...amicably.
......和解。(较正式)
A:What's the result of the dispute between the two parties?
两党史争端的结局怎么样了?
B:They finally selled it amicably.
他们最终和解了。
A:Tt's the same as I had expected.
和我预料的一样。
...split the difference.
采取折中的方法.(较正式)
A:Your price is a bit too high.
你的价格有点太高了。
B:We have to split the difference. A:That's the thing to do.
我们双方都得让一点了.应该这样。
...take a hard line.
......采取强硬态度。(较正式)
A:Will our boss agree to change the plan?
老板会改变计划吗?
B:No,he still takes a hard kine.
不,他态度强硬.
He has ordered us to finish our work according to schedule.He'll never change it
他命令我们按期完成任务就没有改变的余地.
A:He's really marble-hearted.
真是铁石心肠啊!
...fall into line...
......同意 ......。(较正式)
A:Do you follow his decision all the time?
你们总是听从他的决定吗?
B:Yes.When he announces a plan,all of us fall into line.
是的。他宣布的计划,我们都同意。
A:You never reject his ideas? B:Never.He's the boss,you know.
你们从来不拒绝吗?从来不拒绝.他是老板呀.
...back down on
在......上作出让步.(较正式)
A:I finally backed down on my plan.B:I thought you would stick to it.
我的计划最终作出让步.我本以为你会一直坚持下去.
A:I couldn't,simply because so many people have opposite opinions.
那么多人持反对意见,我根本不能坚持.
v. 不一致,有分歧,不适应,不适宜