(Sound of a whistle blowing) 吹口哨声
Yang Li: 球迷们,我们今天的地道英语肯定合你们的胃口。I'm Yang Li. 我是杨丽。
Diarmuid: And I'm Diarmuid. Our phrase for the day has its origins in football, but now it's used much more widely. 我是圣保罗。我们今天要学的短语与足球的起源有关,但是现在常常被广泛地运用。
Yang Li: 说到足球,比赛开始的那一瞬间就叫做kick off。
Diarmuid: Yes, it can also be used as a verb. For example, today's game is going to kick off at 3 o'clock, which means it's going to start at 3pm. Simple. 是的,它也可以用作一个动词。比如,今天的游戏是三点开始的,它的意思就是下午三点开始游戏。简单吧。
Yang Li: Simple. So you said the phrase can also be used outside football? 简单。所以你说这个短语也用于足球以外的事情上。
Diarmuid: Yes, it can also be used when talking about other events starting, such as meetings, concerts or parties. 是的,当我们谈论一件事情开始了的时候,比如会议开始,音乐会开始或者聚会开始。
Examples
A: When does the meeting start? 会议什么时候开始?
B: We're going to kick off at 14.30. 将在下午2点半开始。
C: What's the plan for tonight? 今天晚上有什么安排吗?
D: Well I thought we could kick off around eight with some drinks at my place, then go on to a pub. 嗯,我本想我们能在晚上8点在我住的地方喝点饮料,然后去酒吧的。
Yang Li: So are you a football fan, Derm? 所以说你是一个足球迷,圣保罗?
Diarmuid: Yes, I like watching it but I'm not much good at playing. I've got two left feet. 是的,我喜欢看足球赛但是我不是很擅长踢足球。我的脚协调性不好。
Yang Li: Really? Derm 说他自己有两只左脚意思就是他手脚协调很差,笨手笨脚的。Well I like watching it too, as long as the players are cute! 嗯,我也喜欢看球赛,只要足球手很有趣!
Diarmuid: Hmm, any favourites? 嗯,有什么喜欢的足球手吗?
Yang Li: That would be telling! 保密!
Diarmuid: Well, I'm sure our listeners will hear this phrase "to kick off" a lot; it really is common in spoken English. 好吧,我确信听众们会经常听到开始这个短语;这在口语中真的很常见。
Yang Li: 所以说大家也要竖起耳朵,因为在英语里会经常听到这个词 kick off. 别忘了在我们的网站上大家可以学到更多的地道英语。我们的网址是:
Diarmuid: www.bbcukchina.com
Yang Li: 不过现在不是 kick off 的时候,我们的节目就要结束了,到了最后时间了,最后吹哨。
Diarmuid: The final whistle. 最后吹哨。