Yang Li: Hello everybody, I'm Yang Li and this is Authentic Real English from the BBC. 大家好,我是杨莉,这里是来自BBC的地道美语节目。
Tracy: And I'm Tracy. 我是特蕾西。
Yang Li: 在我们 BBC 《地道英语》节目板块中,我们会带大家一起学习一些英国人日常使用的现代英语词汇和表达。
Tracy: Now Li today is your lucky day. 莉,今天是你的幸运日。
Yang Li: Why's that? 幸运日是什么?
Tracy: Because today I am going to take you for lunch at the most expensive restaurant in London. 因为我打算今天带你去伦敦最贵的餐馆吃最贵的午餐。
Yang Li: Wow! Are you sure you can afford it? 请我去伦敦最贵的餐厅吃饭?你请得起吗?
Tracy: Don't worry about that Li. I've got lots and lots of money. In fact, I'm loaded. 莉,这个不用担心。我有很多很多的钱。事实上,我很有钱。
Yang Li: Loaded? 有钱?
Tracy: Yes, I'm loaded. L.O.A.D.E.D. Loaded. 是的,我有钱。
Yang Li: So loaded means you have lots of money then? 所以这个单词是有很多钱的意思?
Tracy: Exactly right. 完全正确。
Yang Li: 原来 loaded means 非常的有钱。Well, if you're loaded and want to invite me to lunch, I'll be most happy to come with you. 嗯,如果你很有钱并且很想请我吃饭的话,我会很乐意跟你去的。
Tracy: Great, but before we go, let's hear some examples of how to use our new word, loaded. 太好了,但是在我们去之前。来听几个怎么用这个新单词的例子吧。
Example
A: I think football players get paid far too much money. 我想足球运动员能拿很多钱。
B: I know. Can you imagine being loaded like that? Having expensive cars and lots of houses—it must be incredible. 我知道。你能想象有钱成什么样子吗?有很贵的车和很多房子——很难想象。
A: I can't afford to go out tonight. I've spent all my money. 今晚出去我没钱花了。我的钱都花完了。
B: Don't worry. I'm loaded right now. I'll treat you to a night out. 别担心。我现在很有钱。今晚出门的费用我来出。
Yang Li: 看来 loaded 这个词即表示某人很富有,也可以用来表示某人现在手里很有钱。
Tracy: Yes, but of course being loaded is a relative idea. What is a lot of money for some people may seem a small amount to someone much richer. 是的,但是当然有钱只是相对的。一定量的钱对于一些人来说是很多的而对另一些人来说是很少的。
Yang Li: That's true. Are there any other words with the same meaning as loaded? 这倒是真的。还有其他词是跟有钱意思相近的吗?
Tracy: Of course, one thing we all know about English is that there are always lots of alternative ways to say something. 当然,我们都知道的关于英语的一件事就是表达很丰富。
Yang Li: Well, let's have some examples then. 嗯,给些例子吧。
Tracy: Ok, another way to say I have lots of money is to say, I'm minted. 好的,另一种表示很有钱的说法是:I'm minted。
Yang Li: I'm minted.
Tracy: Or I'm rolling in it.
Yang Li: I'm rolling in it. Rolling就是打滚的意思。就是说,我钱多得可以在钱堆里打滚。Great, well since you're loaded, I'll be happy to accept your invitation to lunch. 太棒了,既然你很有钱,我很高兴接受你吃午餐的邀请。
Tracy: Fantastic. Let's go, I'm starving. 太棒了。我们走吧,我很饿了。
Yang Li: Come on then. Now don't forget to visit our website every day. 那我们走吧,但是别忘了每天登陆我们的网站。
Tracy: That's www.bbcchina.com.cn. You'll always find something new there. See you next time. 网址如下。你能看到更多新的内容。下期节目见。