In this lesson you will learn how to use the idiom 'to call it a day' in your conversations
这节课你会学习到在对话中怎样使用俗语“今天到此为止”。
Explanation
解释
Alex: The idiom 'calling it a day' means to stop working on something for the rest of that day, whether or not it is completed.
Alex:俗语“今天到此为止”意味着今天剩下时间停止做某事,无论这件事有没有做完。
Martha: That's correct. It means to quit an activity for the rest of the day or for the present time and continue it the next day.
Martha:正确,它意思是这天不做某项活动了或者说现在不做明天继续做。
Alex: I'm tired. Let's call it a day.
Alex:我累了,我们今天到此为止吧。
Martha: Are you kidding? You just got here.
Martha:你是在开玩笑吧?你刚到这儿。
Alex: Yes, I'm kidding. I was just giving you an example. Let me give you another one: Larry was working late last night, I told him to call it a day and go home.
Alex:是的,我开玩笑的,我刚就是给你举个例子。我给你另举一个例子吧,拉里昨天工作的很晚,我叫他收工回家。
Martha: Wow! That's surprising, Larry really worked late?
Martha:哇,太震撼了,拉里真的工作很晚?
Alex: Nope, just another example.
Alex:没有,就是另外一个例子。
Martha: Yeah, I didn't think Larry would do that. He's usually the one to call it a day at noon!
Martha:是的,我也认为拉里不会那样做,他通常都是中午就收工了。
Alex: One more thing. "Calling it a day" also means to stop some activity altogether. For example: The fossil fuels will be all exhausted in the future, and the oil industry will have to call it a day.
Alex:还有一种情况,这句话也意味着永远不做某事。如:化石能源在未来会被消耗殆尽,石油产业终会结束。
Martha: Good example! However teasing Larry like that is not good, we better call it a day.
Martha:很好的例子,但是像这样开玩笑的话并不是很好,我们最好打住。
Alex: I know that Martha. In fact, Larry is really competent. He usually complete his work by noon.
Alex:我知道的,玛莎。实际上,拉里是个强劲的对手,通常到中午就会完成他的工作。
Martha: I noticed that too!
Martha:我也注意到了!
Alex: Alright. Let's listen to some conversations now.
Alex:好了,我们现在听几段对话吧。
Larry is going to the beach
拉里要去沙滩
Tina: Larry, what are you doing? You just shut down your computer.
Tina:拉里,你要去做什么?你刚才关电脑了。
Larry: I'm calling it a day. I'm off to the beach for a family outing!
Larry:我要收工了,我会去沙滩弄个家庭旅游!
Tina: It's 2 o'clock Larry. What about the program codes?
Tina:都两点钟了,拉里。程序编码完成的怎么样了?
Larry: Don't worry, I've already updated them. Why don't you take a look?
Larry:别担心,我已经更新完了,你为什么不看一下呢?
Tina: Okay, everything looks fine.
Tina:好的,事情进展的不错。
Larry: I've also designed the widget you told me about; it's in your mail.
Larry:我也设计了你跟我说的小部件,在你的邮箱里。
Tina: Oh thank you so much! I think I can call it a day soon too!
Tina:哦,太感谢了,我认为我也很快会收工的!
Algorithms are tough!
程序复杂
Martha: Tina, is that you? Still here at 9 pm?
Martha:蒂娜,是你吗?晚上九点了还在这?
Tina: Oh Martha! I can't get my algorithms done.
Tina:哦,是玛莎啊,我还没编完程序。
Martha: Sometimes it's best to put them aside, and start fresh later.
Martha:有时候最好把它们放在一边,稍后重新开始。
Tina: Yeah, I think I'll just work one more hour.
Tina:嗯,我想要再工作一个小时。
Martha: No, it's very late, already! Let's call it a day Martha.
Martha:不行,已经非常晚了,玛莎今天就收工吧!
Tina: Yeah, my brain is not working now. I think it's time to call it a day.
Tina:好吧,我大脑现在罢工了,我认为时候停止了。
Baseball game lost
棒球比赛输了
Alex: Our team is behind by 8 runs.
Alex:我们队落后八分了。
Larry: Yeah, and only 1 inning is left in the game.
Larry:是啊,在比赛中只有一支队伍胜出。
Alex: Looks like they might as well call it a day
Alex:他们看起来似乎已经结束了。
Larry: I hate to admit it, but our team doesn't stand a chance in this game.
Larry:真不愿承认,我们对在比赛中没有抓住机会。
Alex: Yep. Let's call it a day too, and head home.
Alex:是的,今天到此为止了,回家吧。