Explanation
解释
Cris: “An” is an indefinite article. It is used to talk about countable nouns. "An" is not used to talk about plurals or non-countable nouns. We use "an" before vowels (a, e, i, o, u) and before vowel sounds.
克丽丝:"an"是不定冠词。它用来限定可数名词。"an"不会用来修饰复数和不可数名词。我们在元音前或者是元音开始的字母前使用"an"。
Troy: Can I have an apple?
特洛伊:可以给我一个苹果吗?
Chris: Here "apple" is a noun beginning with a vowel sound.
克丽丝:这里的苹果是以元音开始的。
Troy: Bruce Springsteen is an American musician.
特洛伊:Bruce Springsteen是一名美国音乐家。
Chris: An indefinite article is used because he is part of a group of American musicians.
克丽丝:使用不定冠词是因为他是美国音乐家中的一位。
Troy: My father in an architect.
特洛伊:我的爸爸是一名建筑师。
Chris: Since "architect" begins with a vowel sound, we use the article "an."
克丽丝:因为"architect"是以元音为首字母的,所以我们冠词用"an."
Troy: I live in a United States.
特洛伊:我住在一个美国。
Chris: This sentence is incorrect. We do not use indefinite articles with countries, states, or provinces, lakes, or mountains because they are unique.
克丽丝:这个句子是不正确的。在国家,省份,地区,湖泊,山之前我们不使用不定冠词,因为他们都是第一无二的。
Troy: I live in the United States.
特洛伊:我住在美国。
Chris: This is the correct sentence.
克丽丝:这是个正确的句子。
Troy: Cassie is an interpreter.
特洛伊:凯丝是一名口译译员。
Chris: In this example, Cassie belongs to a group of interpreters. We use "an" because "interpreter" begins with a vowel sound.
克丽丝:在这个例子里。凯丝是众多口译译员中的一名。我们用"an."因为"interpreter"首字母是元音。
Troy: Sam is an honest person.
特洛伊:山姆是一个诚实的人。
Chris: Here the adjective describing the noun begins with the consonant "h". However, we use the article "an" because the "h" is silent, and we pronounce the vowel sound /?/.
克丽丝:这里修饰名词的形容词以福音字母"h"开始。但是,因为"h"不发音,所以我们冠词使用"an"。
Conversation 1
对话一
Katy: What did you have for breakfast today?
凯特:今天早餐吃什么了?
Lisa: I just ate an apple.
丽莎:我就吃了一个苹果。
Katy: Just an apple? Are you on a diet?
凯特:只有一个苹果吗?你在减肥?
Lisa: No, I'm not. I just wasn't very hungry.
丽莎:不,我没有。我就是不太饿。
Katy: All right. In that case, you might feel hungry at least an hour before the lunch break.
凯特:好吧。如果这样的话,在午饭前一个小时你就会饿了。
Conversation 2
对话二
Jerry: Hey. I've heard your dad is an architect. Is that right?
杰瑞:嘿,听说你的爸爸是建筑师,真的吗?
Tom: Yes, he is an architect. Why do you ask?
汤姆:是的,他是一名建筑师,为什么问呢?
Jerry: I'm planning to study Architecture. My parents advised me to meet an architect for some information about how it is to be one.
杰瑞:我打算学习建筑学。我的父母建议我向一名建筑师请教一些怎么样成为建筑师的信息。
Tom: Oh really? Well, it is an amazing profession. You must meet my dad to get a better idea.
汤姆:哦,真的吗?这是个神奇的专业。你一定要见见我的爸爸,了解更多好的建议。
Jerry: Can I meet him next Sunday?
杰瑞:我可以下周日见他吗?
Tom: I'm not sure. He has a very busy schedule.
汤姆:我不知道,他很忙。
Jerry: Sure. Just let me know whenever he is free and willing to talk.
杰瑞:好吧,请在他有时间可以见我的时候通知我。