Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
Here's an idiom about arguments, and legs. Not Have a Leg to Stand on
今天栏目的内容是一个与论点和腿有关的习语。站不住脚
Let's listen to my friends talking, and using this American idiom:
大家一起听听我的朋友们是如何谈论和使用这个美国习语的。
At first, the insurance company didn't believe me
起初,保险公司并不相信我,
when I said the driver ran the red light before hitting my car.
当我说司机闯了红灯才撞到我的车时。
But, there's a video that clearly showed his car going through the red light.
但是,当时的监控视频清楚地显示,他的车闯了红灯。
Oh, in that case, he doesn't have a leg to stand on!
哦,在那种情况下,司机说的话就站不住脚了。
He's going to have to pay to fix your car.
他将不得不支付你修车的钱。
Not having a leg to stand on means a person does not have any evidence to support his or her argument.
站不住脚的意思是,一个人没有任何证据来支撑他自己的论点。
Without evidence, your argument does not stand up
没有了证据,你的论点就不会站得住脚,
under questioning because, if you think about it, not having a leg would make it difficult to stand.
在受到质疑的情况下,这是因为,请你想想,没有一条腿是很难站立的。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》!