Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
"Headlights" are the two bright lights in front of a car.
前灯指的是车前面两盏明亮的灯。
But what does a deer have to do with headlights?
但是为什么鹿会与前灯有关呢?
I cannot believe you got to meet Hillary Clinton! That must have been so incredible.
我不敢相信你竟然见到了希拉里·克林顿!那简直太不可思议了。
I know. It was so incredible that I couldn't say anything!
是啊。简直太不可思议了,我话都说不出来了!
I was like a deer caught in headlights!
我当时都愣住了!
Well, that's understandable. But maybe next time you won't have that "deer in the headlights" look!
好吧,可以理解。但是下回你可能就不会手足无措了!
If a deer is on the road at night and a car is coming, it stands still, doing nothing,
如果某个夜晚,鹿在路上走着的时候正逢一辆车行驶过来,它会站在原地不动,
until its eyes can adjust to the bright lights.
直到它的眼睛适应了车前灯强烈的光。
This, unfortunately, puts the deer in danger.
这种情况会很不幸地将鹿至于危险当中。
If someone says you look like a "deer in the headlights"
如果某个人用这个短语来形容你,
it means you look frozen with surprise,shock, or maybe even fear.
这意味着你可能因为惊讶、震惊或是恐惧而呆住了。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》!