Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
Some expressions we use in American English, really sound terrible.
我们所使用的某些美式英语表达听起来很可怕。
Let's hope Jonathan and Anna are not this careless. Throw the baby out with the bathwater
让我们来期待乔纳森和安娜不会这么粗心地使用这些表达吧。全盘否定。
I have bad news. What?
我有个坏消息要告诉你。什么?
The boss wants to reorganize the office and change the way we're doing… everything!
老板想整顿办公室,并且要改变我们做事的方式,她要大整改!
But somethings are really working well!
可一些工作任务进展的非常好!
Why throw the baby out with the bathwater?
为什么要全盘否定所有呢?
I agree. But she says we should "start fresh", again.
我同意。可老板说我们需要再一次从头开始。
To throw the baby out with the bathwater means to throw something valuable away with something unwanted.
全盘否定指扔掉一些有价值的东西,方式是用某些不想要的东西代替。
Many language experts say this idiom entered English from the German expression. "Pour the baby out with the bath."
一些语言专家称这个英语习语源于德语表达。全盘否定。
I'm sure it sounds just as unsettling in German.
我确定,这个习语在德国听起来也会令人不安。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!