Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
This phrase sounds pretty simple. But it's actually a warning.
这个短语听起来很简单。但它实际上是一个警告:
Hey, Anna, how is your apartment search going?
嗨,安娜,你公寓找的怎么样了?
It's going okay. I found a really great place in a fun neighborhood. And it's a great price.
还行。我找到了一个很不错的地方,在一个有趣的街区。价格很合适。
That's great! So...What's the problem?
真不错。所以...还有问题吗?
The apartment manager asked me to give him $500 in cash before signing a lease.
公寓管理员要求我支付他500美元现金,在签订租约前。
That sounds like a major red flag. I hope you didn't give him any money.
听起来还是蛮危险的。我希望你不要给他钱。
Something that is a "red flag" is a problem or a concern, one that could lead to danger.
如果某事是“危险信号”,则代表这件事会引起麻烦或造成忧虑,可能会导致危险。
In the past, ships raised red flags to warn other ships of dangerous waters.
过去,船只举起红旗,目的在于警告其它船只那里是危险海域。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!