Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
We have already learned the expression "tiptoe around something," which means to avoid directly expressing something.
我们已经学过“回避某事”,表示避免直接表达某件事。
Keep you on your toes
保持警惕
Does this idiom have a similar meaning?
这个表达有同样的意思吗?
How do you like your new Arabic class?
你觉得你的新阿拉伯语课程怎么样?
Oh, it's tough! The teacher gives us so many unexpected tests.
好难啊!老师会进行好多次意想不到的测验。
Wow, your class sounds tough!
哇,听起来好难啊!
Yeah, but it keeps you on your toes.
是的,不过它会让我保持警惕。
You have to be prepared for each and every class.
你必须每节课都要做好准备。
If something "keeps you on your toes," it keeps you alert, aware and ready to act.
如果某件事“使得你保持警惕,”你就会警戒心很高,准备随时采取行动。
A person can begin to run or jump more quickly and easily if their weight is on their toes.
如果某人把重量放在脚趾上,他就会轻松快速地跑或跳。
That is where this expression comes from.
这就是今天这个表达的来源。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!