make concessions
做出让步
We made too many concessions and we got too little in return.
我们做了很多让步,但是回报太少。
have no point in doing something.../There is no point in doing something...
做某事没有意义
We would have no point in going on talking.
我们没有意义继续谈下去了。
meet each other halfway
相互让步;相互妥协;各让一半
I suggest we meet each other halfway.
我建议我们互相妥协。
Reach/Come to an agreement on...
在...上达成协议/一致
I'm glad that we have reached an agreement on the price.
我很开心我们在价格问题上达成 一致。
Conversation:
A: Mr Smith. This is our rock-bottom price, we can't make any further concessions.
史密斯先生,这是我们的最低价了,我们不能再做出让步了。
B: If that's the case, we would have no point in going on talking. You and I both know that I am a wholesaler. If I sell it to others at this price, not only will they not buy it, but I have no interest in it.
如果是这样的话,就没有谈下去的意义了。因为你我都明白我是批发商,如果我以这个价格成批的卖给他人的话,不仅他们不会购买,我也没有什么利益可图了。
A: I mean the price you asked for is too low. We can't go down to that level. We wouldn't be willing to lose money in business, right?
我的意思是你方要求的价格实在太低了,我们是绝对不可能降到那种程度的,我们都不会愿意赔本做生意的,对吗?
B: I think it's unwise for either of us to insist on our own price. We should all make some concessions so that our business can be settled.
我觉得我们双方都坚持自己的价格,是不明智的。我们都应该做出让步,这样我们的生意就能谈成了。
A: What's your advice?
你的建议是什么?
B: The price you offered is $160 more than our acceptable price. I suggest we meet each other halfway.
你方提出的价格与我们可接受的价格相比,多了160美元。我建议我们各让一半。
A: Do you mean I should make further reduction of $80. That is impossible.
你的意思是我在给你降价80美元吗?那是不可能的。
B: So what is your suggestion then?
那你们的意见呢?
A: We can only offer you a reduction of $20, which is really our rock-bottom price. I swear we never sold it at this price.
我们最多只能给你降价20美元,这真的是我们的最低价了。我发誓我们从来没有以这种价格出售过。
B: Okay, I am glad that we have reached an agreement on the price. Let my assistant contact you for the next thing.
好的,很高兴我们在价格上达成了一致。接下来的事情就让我的助理联系你吧。
A: Alright. You can really have a way. I admire you.
好的,你可真有办法,我佩服你。