基础短语
do sb a favor
帮某人一个忙
owe sb sth/owe sth to sb
欠某人某物
He owes his father $200.=
He owes $200 to his father.
他欠他爸爸200美元。
loan
借;借款
a car loan
车贷
It took three years to repay my student loan.
我花了三年时间才还清我的学生贷款。
经典对话
A: Hey. I was wondering if you could do me a favor.
嗨,我正想找你帮忙呢。
B: That depends. What is it?
看情况吧,什么事儿?
A: It's kind of a big favor. I'm absolutely flat broke and I owe my landlady $200. She's given me until Friday to give it to her, but I don't get paid until next Monday. Do you think you could loan me some cash until I get paid?
是件大事儿。我身无分文,还欠了房东太太200美元。她限我星期五之前还钱,但是我下周一才能领薪水。在领工资之前,你能不能借我点现金?
B: I'd love to help you out, but I'm a bit short on cash this month as well. I have to get a new engine put into my car and that ate up my savings.
我很想帮你解决这个困难,但是我这个月也很缺钱。我刚刚给我的汽车买了新的发动机,还花光了我所有的积蓄。
A: If you can't give me the full amount ,a fraction of it will still help. I'll pay you back on Monday, I promise.
如果你不能借我全款,借我一部分也能帮上忙。我下周一一定还给你,我保证。
a fraction of表示“少量”
B: Let's see, I've got about $50 to get me through the weekend. I can only spare about $20. I would give you more if I had it. I just don't have much money to my name right now.
咱们看看啊,我撑到这周末一共需要50块,那就还能剩下20块给你。要是有的话我一定多给你一些,可是现在我名下真的没什么钱了。
A: Thanks a lot. Every little bit will help. If you aren't doing anything tonight, why don't you come over and have dinner at my place?
非常感谢。每一点钱都会非常有帮助的。我跟你说,要是你今天晚上没有什么安排的话,来我家吃晚饭吧。
B: That'd be great, thanks. What time should I come over?
那太好了,谢谢,我几点钟过去?
A: How about at six p.m?
晚上六点怎么样?
B: See you then.
到时候见。