9 News of the prisoner
9 有关囚犯的消息
The next morning I was sitting in the garden in the sun when suddenly I saw young Rupert of Hentzau on horseback coming through the trees towards me.
第二天早晨,我正坐在阳光下的花园里,突然看见鲁帕特骑着马穿过树林朝我走来。
He was not afraid of my men,but asked to speak with me alone.He said he had a message for me from the Duke of Strelsau.
他并不怕我的人,但是请求和我单独谈谈。他说他有斯特莱索公爵给我的口信。
I asked my friends to move away,and Rupert came and sat down near me.
我请朋友们离开,然后鲁帕特过来在我旁边坐了下来。
'Rassendyll,'he began,'the Duke….'
“拉森狄尔,”他开始说,“公爵……”
'Don't you know how to speak to the King?'I asked.
“难道你不知道应该怎样对国王说话吗?”我问。
'Why pretend with me?'
“干吗跟我装假?”
'Because it isn't finished yet.'
“因为事情还没完。”
'well,I'm here because I want to help you…'
“好吧,我来这儿是因为我想帮助你……”
'Then give me the message.What does the Duke want?'I asked.
“那就告诉我那个口信。公爵想要什么?”
'He wants you to leave.He'll take you safely out of the country and give you a hundred thousand pounds.'
“他要你离开。他会帮你安全地离开这个国家。而且会给你10万英镑。”
'I refuse,'I replied immediately.
“我拒绝。”我立即回答。
Rupert laughed.'I knew it!'he cried.'Duke Michael doesn't understand men like us!… You must die,then,'he added carelessly.
鲁帕特笑了:“我知道,”他说:“迈克尔公爵不了解你我这样的人!……那么你就得死。”他漫不经心地加了一句。
'Yes,'I answered.'But you won't be alive to see me die!'I laughed.'How's your prisoner?'I added.
“对。”我回答:“不过你也别想活着看到我死!”我笑着说:“你的犯人怎么样了?”
'Alive,'he replied.'How's the pretty Princess?'
“还活着!”他回答:“美丽的公主怎么样了?”
I took a step towards him.'Go now,before I kill you,'I shouted angrily.
我朝他跨了一步,“在我杀了你之前赶紧滚!”我生气地喊道。
Rupert turned, but suddenly he came back.He put out his right hand.'Shake hands!'he called.
鲁帕特转过身,但他突然又回来了。他伸出右手,叫道:“握握手吧!”
Of course,he knew what I would do.I put my hands behind my back.Quickly,his left hand moved towards me.
他当然知道我会怎么做。我把手放在背后。他的左手却一下子伸过来,
In it he held a dagger and it was coming straight at my heart!I jumped to one side,and the dagger went deep into my shoulder.
手里的短剑直刺向我的心脏。我跳向一边,短剑深深地刺进我的肩膀。
Before my friends could do anything,Rupert of Hentzau was on his horse and galloping through the trees.
没等我的朋友反应过来,鲁帕特已经上马跑进了树林。
I heard my men going after him with their guns and then everything went black.
我听见我的人开枪追赶他,然后一切都变黑了。
When I awoke it was dark,and Fritz was at my bedside.He told me that I was not badly hurt,and that the plan to catch Johann had been successful.
我醒来时天已经黑了。弗里茨坐在我的床边。他说我的伤不重,并且告诉我我们抓约翰的计划已经成功了。
'He seems pleased to be here,'Fritz said.'I think he's afraid of Duke Michael.'
“他看上去很高兴能呆在这儿。”弗里茨说,“我想他害怕迈克尔公爵。”