David:Do you know what Christmas is about?
你知道圣诞节是关于什么的吗?
You:No,my teacher did told me once,but I can't remember.
不知道。我的老师曾经告诉过我一次,但我没记住。
David:You can tell about the word Chiristmas,inside of the Christmas was the word Christ.
你看,圣诞节这个单词里面有一个“圣”。
You:oh, the birth of the Christ.
哦,是基督的生日。
David:In fact, nowadays Americans mainly see Christmas as a time to give gifts and forget the Christmas has religious basics.
实际上,现在大部分美国人都把圣诞节看成是互赠礼物的节日,却忘了它还有宗教因素。
You:Yes, my teacher did told me about that, but I forget. I know another one, too. The resurrection of the Christ, it's Thanksgiving, right?
是的,我老师曾告诉过我。不过我给忘了。我知道另一个关于宗教的额节日,基督复活的节日,感恩节,对不对?
David:Thanksgiving,No.you are talking about the Easter. What do you know about Thanksgiving?
感恩节?不是的,你说的是复活节。关于感恩节你知道多少?
You:I know that people eat turkey on Thanksgiving, that's about it.
我知道人们在那一天吃火鸡,仅此而已。
David:Actually, thanksgiving is a national holiday in the US, the origins are from the national history of the country. when the English builders arrived to the America, they suffered very severe conditions. they didn't bring many resources, they were hungry and of course it was a very difficult time for them.
实际上感恩节是美国的全国性节日,这与美国的历史密不可分。当初英国人到达美洲大陆,资源不够,整天挨饿,所以他们现在用这个节日感谢救助过他们的土著印第安人。
You:how long was the holiday?
感恩节放假几天?
David:One day.
一天。
You:Only one day!
才一天?