A Strange Piece of Wood
一根奇怪的木头
It was a warm and dreary afternoon at the beach.
故事发生在海边一个温暖但沉闷的下午。
The only exciting occurrence was the unexpected drizzle.
唯一让人高兴的事情就是一场细雨不期而降,
It had drenched my clothes.
它淋湿了我的衣服。
Since we were experiencing a drought on the island, the rain was a welcome relief.
岛上正值干旱,所以这场及时雨使旱情得到了缓解。
I had just eaten my lunch.
我刚刚吃过午饭,
I was feeling somewhat drowsy.
感到有点昏昏欲睡。
Suddenly, something in the distance caught my attention.
走到沙滩上,突然,我注意到远处一个什么东西。
I had spotted a strange piece of driftwood.
我辨认出那是一根奇怪的浮木。
It was drifting in and out of the waves about fifty meters offshore.
它漂浮在离岸边大约50米的海浪上,时隐时现。
I immediately put on my durable swim fins and dived into the ocean.
我迅速穿上耐用的潜水脚蹼,潜入海中。
Upon reaching it, I noticed something else unusual.
到跟前抓住它时,我注意到它有些异常:
The shape of the wood was dumbbell-like and it had s message written on it.
它的形状像个哑铃,上面还写着留言。
My curiosity caused me to drag it to the shore for further examination.
好奇心促使我把它拖到岸上再进一步查看。
I'm confined in a dungeon, the message said.
留言是这样写的:我正被囚禁在地牢里,
I suffer through drudgery every day.
每天我都在服苦役。
I'm forced to pound and shape ductile metals into armor.
他们强迫我把易延展的金属打至成盔甲。
I cannot speak because I have been dumb since birth.
我不会说话,天生就是哑巴。
My drill is a bit dull, but it can still be used to write messages.
我的钻头很钝,但仍可用来写留言。
I hope this piece of wood will be dumped into the ocean so that someone will find it.
我真希望这根木头会被投进大海,这样就会有人发现它。
If you find it, please help me.
如果你发现了,请你救救我。
I am due to be executed by the end of the year.
我预期在今年年底被处死刑。
I have not been able to duplicate this message, so you are my only hope.
我无法复制留言,所以你是我唯一的希望。
I thought for a moment.
我想了片刻,
This must be a trick.
认为这一定是个骗局。
How can a prisoner have a dual purpose drill in his possession?
一个囚犯如何会有一个有双重功能的钻头呢?
What a strange case of duplicity!
多么力气的欺诈案呀!