1.quarrel with one's bread and butter:自己作对; 作对自己生计不利的事; 厌弃自己的职业
e.g.:Why dare you argue with our boss, Tom? I think you are quarreling with your bread and butter. He can easily find a reason to fire you at any time.
汤姆,你怎么敢和老板争吵哇?我认为你是在和自己的饭碗闹别扭。他随时就能找到理由把你给开了。
2.hunt for a job:seek or find a job 找工作
e.g.:After graduation, the young lady had to hunt for a job to support her self.
毕业后,这个年轻女士必须去找份工作养活自己。
3.be worth one's salt:be up to or capable of one's job 称职;胜任
e.g.:Tom often receives bonuses, because the boss thinks he is worth his salt.
汤姆经常得到奖金,因为老板认为他很称职。
4.chalk it up to experience:当作积累经验
e.g.:I failed again this time, but I won't lose heart. I'll just chalk it up to experience.
我这次又失败了,但是我不会灰心的,就当作积累经验吧。
5.play fast and loose with:处世轻率;行为反复无常
e.g.:Be honest in your life, don't play fast and loose with that girl's love for you.
生活态度要诚实,别玩弄那个女孩对你的感情。
6.out of the frying pan, into the fire:to exchange your situation for another that is worse 跳出煎锅,又入火坑。
A: Give up your present job and apply for this job here. It is much better paid.
A:把那个工作辞掉,到这儿来申请这份工作。报酬要高的多。
B: No dice! I will stick with what I've got. I don't want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. B:绝对不行!我还是坚守现有的这份工作。我可不想刚跳出煎锅,就又入火坑。
adj. 流行的,普遍的