1.find the length of one's feet:be aware of one's weakness or shortcomings 知道某人的短处或缺点
We've been friends for many years and sure I can easily find the length of his feet.
我们是多年的朋友,我很了解他的缺点 。
2.nip sth. in the bud:把……扼杀在萌芽中;防患于未然
You seem to have started smoking now; I remind you that it is an extremely addictive habit, so the best thing for you to do is to nip it in the bud.
你现在好像开始在抽烟;我可要提醒你:抽烟可是个非常容易上瘾的恶习,所以你最好在刚开始的时候就把烟戒了 。 3.pepper:add flavor to 大量给予
The reporters peppered the spokesman with questions.
记者们向发言人连续发问 。
4.find it in one's heart to do:意欲;忍心做(多用否定句)
If I wasn't obliged to, I couldn't find it in my heart to give offence to my loved ones.
要不是被迫无奈,我是不忍心去触怒我所爱的人的 。
5.it strikes me that:it suddenly enters one's mind; occur to 闪入脑海;想到
1)The thought struck me from out of the blue.
我突然有了这想法 。
2)It struck (occurred to) me that the girl was trying to flirt with the married man.
我突然想起来,那女孩试图和那个已婚男子调情 。
6.know someone like/better than he knows himself:know someone very deeply 对某人知根知底
He can't fool me. I know him better than he knows himself.
他骗不了我 。我了解他胜于他了解自己 。
n. 卖弄风骚的人,调情的人 vi. 掠过,轻率对待,调