第2单元 独眼海盗
A seaman meets a pirate in a bar. The seaman notes that the pirate has a peg leg, a hook, and an eye patch.
有名水手在酒吧里遇见一名海盗,水手注意到海盗装了假肢、手上有铁钩,还戴了个眼罩。
The seaman asks, “So, how did you end up with the peg-leg?”
水手问道:“你的腿怎么了,怎么会装着假肢?”
The private replies,“We were in a storm at sea, and I was swept overboard into a school of sharks.
海盗回答:“我们在海上碰到暴风雨,结果我不慎落水,掉到一群鲨鱼中间;
Just as my men were pulling me out, a shark bit my leg off.”
正当船员救我上去时,我的腿就被鲨鱼咬掉了。
“Wow!” remarked the seaman. “What about your hook?”
“哇!”水手说:“那你的手怎么会装了铁钩?”
“Well,” replied the pirate. “We were searching for a treasure in a remote swamp.
“这个嘛,”海盗回答:“我们到一块偏僻沼泽地寻宝,
I got mixed up with an alligator and it bit my hand off.
手是和一只鳄鱼打架时被咬掉的。”
“Amazing!” remarked the seaman. “How did you get the eye patch? ”
“太厉害了!”水手说:“那你的眼罩又是怎么回事?”
“A seagull droppings fell into my eye”, replied the pirate.
“海鸥的粪掉到我的眼睛里。”海盗回答。
“You lost your eye to a seagull dropping?” the sailor asked.
“被海鸥的粪弄到眼睛就瞎了?”水手问道。
“Well,” remarked the pirate, “it was my first day with my hook.”
“不是啦,”海盗回答:“因为那一天我的手刚装上铁钩.”
【美】 Tara McAteer 著 黄惟郁 译
上海交通大学出版社出版