16 He wanted to talk to Billy
16 他想和比利说话
Mrs. Jones, a chairwoman of a big drug company, was waiting for an important official telephone call. But she had no sugar and vinegar in the house, so she left the baby at home and said to his 5-year-old brother, "I am going to the canteen, Jimmy. And I will be back in a few minutes."
琼斯夫人是一家医药公司的主席,正在等一个很重要的工作电话。可是,她发现家里没有糖和醋了,因此她只好把婴儿留在家里,并对5岁的儿子说:“杰米,我要去一趟小卖店,马上就回来。”
While she was out, the telephone rang and Jimmy answered.
琼斯夫人刚走,电话铃就响了。杰米接了电话。
"Hello," said a man, "Is your mother there?"
“你好。”一个男人的声音,“你妈在家吗?”
"No," the lively boy sucked a chocolate pole and answered.
“不在。”活泼的杰米边吮吸巧克力棒边说。
"Well, when she comes back, say to her,' Mr. Baker telephoned.'"
“那么,你妈回来后,告诉她:“贝克先生来过电话。””
"What?"
“你说什么?”
"Mr. Baker. Write it down. B-A-K-E-R."
“贝克先生。你记下来: B-A-K-E-R。”
"How do you make a 'B'?"
“B怎么写啊?”
"How do I make...? Listen, little boy! Is there anybody else with you? Any brothers or sisters?"
“怎么写...?听着,孩子,家里还有别的人吗?你兄弟或者姐妹。”
"My brother Billy is here."
“我兄弟比利在家。”
"Good! I want to talk to him please."
“好!我要同他说话。”
"All right!" Jimmy took the wireless telephone to the baby's bed and give it to Billy.
“好吧!”杰米把无线电话拿到婴儿床上,递给比利。
When their mother came back, she asked: "Did anyone telephone?"
妈妈回家后,问道:“有谁来过电话吗?”
"Yes," said Jimmy, "a man, but he only wanted to talk to Billy."
“有的,”杰米说:“一个男人打来的,可是他只要求跟比利说话。”